Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Peter101,

I also responded to this question in one of your other posts.

For anyone that may be having the problem with the drive not being able to read CD’s.

You can clear the upper and lower registry values. (Filters)

Occasionally as you play Cd's information is stored in files that can cause the drive to stop working correctly.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps to clear the filters.

Only remove the items that the steps show.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
No the Drive CAN READ CDs but not DVDs. And it can not boot from DVDs in DOS.
HP Recommended

To repeat Peter:

"No the Drive CAN READ CDs but not DVDs."

I have a HP desktop with W7 Home. The burner is  hp cddvdw sn-208db. It reads and burns blank CD's. It does not read DVD+R's. It used to read them but not now.

HP Recommended

Hi cfowen,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I have found a solution to your problem of not reading DVDs but reading CDs. The link below will show you how to upper and lower filters in the registry. Please, be warned that you should only edit the registries entries mentioned because editing the wrong can cause serious problems with your computer. Show done to the Answer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/dvdcd-rom-drive-reads-cds-but-d...

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your time.

I ended up fixing it using some simple advice from a tech forum. For Win7, it went: Device manager/ DVD/CD -ROM drives/right click on the problem drive/click on uninstall. The computer was then restarted and the drive was automatically re-installed. Works great now.

HP Recommended

Hello, I'm looking for driver hp CDDVDW sn-208BB HH01 Version
6.1.7601.17514  Thank you very much

mail: [Personal Information Removed]

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.