Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp elitebook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so i have the elitebook 8470p that has an i5, 4gb ram, and intel hd graphics 4000, with 32mb of vram,

i upgraded to 8gbram hoping that the vram to be upgraded too, but i got stuck on 32mb, some people told me to change my OS, to windows 8.1 (i have 10) and am curious why it didnt upgraded because intel hd graphics 4000 automatically upgrades de vram after a RAM upgrade.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No the allocation of video memory is going to be the same in any version of Windows for which there is a working driver. 

As I tried to say, it would make no difference if you could allocate more video memory. The video will perform as well as it is going to perform regardless of whether you have 32 or 64 or 128 megs of the system memory walled off for video. 

There is no actual dedicated video memory it all has to come from the system memory.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You might have an option in the BIOS to adjust video memory allocation but on the Intel HD you are not going to run short. The video chip will take all the memory it needs from system memory. Your video would not perform any better even if you were to increase the allocated video memory.

HP Recommended

hello Huffer, i already check the BIOS in dont have any option, already research about that and my model is not allowed to change some options on the BIOS, but i just cant believe that HP did a laptop without that option, i mean, i upgraded the ram (i know that the VRAM will take its power form the laptops RAM) but it didnt upgrade, so i want to know that is there any chance for it to upgrade by changing my OS?

HP Recommended

No the allocation of video memory is going to be the same in any version of Windows for which there is a working driver. 

As I tried to say, it would make no difference if you could allocate more video memory. The video will perform as well as it is going to perform regardless of whether you have 32 or 64 or 128 megs of the system memory walled off for video. 

There is no actual dedicated video memory it all has to come from the system memory.

HP Recommended

so where is that solution that is verified by intel page i see just some blank text from an expert 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.