Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Recommended
I own dv6-2155dx with Core i3-330M 2.13Ghz

If you read the whole thread from beginning, I have posted many details about my HP laptop.

I would like to see if I can get quad core (i5/i7)
Basically, I want to get the maximum capacity cpu supported for my motherboard to boost up the performance without jeopardizing the system.

2nd Generation Core i's (possibly)
HP Recommended

@technolow wrote:
I own dv6-2155dx with Core i3-330M 2.13Ghz

If you read the whole thread from beginning, I have posted many details about my HP laptop.

I would like to see if I can get quad core (i5/i7)
Basically, I want to get the maximum capacity cpu supported for my motherboard to boost up the performance without jeopardizing the system.

2nd Generation Core i's (possibly)

HM55 chipset works the first Intel Core iX generation processor, so forget about the second generation as it's not even physically compatible (the second gen is physically compatible with the third one but not electronically). I believe that Core i5-580M (Dual Core with the hyperthreading) should work because the original fan and heat sink should be compatible with this processor. I haven't seen any laptop with a Core i7-720QM (have with a Core i5) and higher with a shared (UMA) graphics chip yet.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Last Question.......

When I searched for Core i5-580M. I found some spec codes like SLBXX, SLCXX, etc...

Does it matter which one I purchase or anyone of them should work as long as its 580M?????

If you can suggest a retailer/ trusted seller site, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@technolow wrote:

Last Question.......

When I searched for Core i5-580M. I found some spec codes like SLBXX, SLCXX, etc...

Does it matter which one I purchase or anyone of them should work as long as its 580M?????

If you can suggest a retailer/ trusted seller site, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Part number for Core i5-580M in manuals is: 625825-001

http://www.hpstock.com/products/625825-001

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i5-580M-2-66GHz-3MB-PGA988-SLC28-K0-CP80617005487AD-625825-001-Proce...

That hpstock requires VAT number for non UK customers because the VAT will be paid in your country as an import charge or something like that. SLC28 means that the cpu is for that PGA988 (G1) socket. There is also SLC29 but that cpu is for the BGA1288 socket.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

I noticed the 28/29 on intel website but what about the SLB/C --- TU/TV/NB??

This is just grinding my head down....wth...

they just make it too complicated.

HP Recommended
I recently found out from other forums that core

i7-620M,
i7-640M,

are also compatible with 2155dx

can someone confirm this with me?
HP Recommended

@technolow wrote:
I recently found out from other forums that core

i7-620M,
i7-640M,

are also compatible with 2155dx

can someone confirm this with me?

I think that I could confirm that. This is your original cpu:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-330M-Notebook-Processor.23753.0.html

this is i7-640M:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-640M-Notebook-Processor.36695.0.html

They both use the same Intel HD GMA chip so these processors could be used on the same chipset/laptop.

HP Recommended
I would like everyone to know that I have successfully upgraded my dv6-2155DX (previously i3-330M)

Now I have,

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-620M 2.66 Ghz

RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 Kit (7-7-7-20)

HD: Samsung 840 Pro series 128GB SSD

I am very happy with the performance. But from my research I have realized that Core i5-580M or Core i7-640M would have been slightly better processors compatible with my system. Also sata 3 (6gb/s) would have been much faster with my ssd but unfortunately this is old laptop.

But I got i7-620M for $100 (May 2013) which was the best price out of the three options I had so I am going with 620M.

I hope this helps other people with the same laptop

AND thanks PEPE

Feel free to ask me questions and I will reply at the earliest convenient time.

Thanks
HP Recommended

I have this computer as well and was wondering where you found that processor for $100?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.