Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook (TPN-i119)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

A friend has asked me to upgrade their HP Notebook.

It only has 2gb ram, and 30gb storage.

When I dowloaded the manual  (his is the celeron version) it says its 2gb onboard ram, and it has a eMMC 32Gb driver kit.

Hence the job not as easy as I thought.

Two questions:

1) Can I still put an internal harddisk in place, and  do I need to purchase the hard drive bracket and cable (p/n 813510-001)?

2) Can I increase the ram, or am I stuck with 2gb?

All help seriously appreciated..

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We will need the exact model, but generally if the Manual says "onboard" memory it is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. Same with eMMC....that usually means a soldered on hard drive module. Some allow a standard hard drive in addition  but the devil is in the details. Which exact model?

Never mind. Is it this?

Service Manual

Supports up to 2 GB max on-board system memory (Celeron processors only)

Also see p. 37-40. You can have either an eMMC, installed with an adapter or a SATA hard drive installed in a bracket. 

I would get say a 120 gig regular SATA SSD and the hard drive bracket and install that as an upgrade. 

Hard Drive Hardware Kit (includes bracket and cable) 813510-001

I could not find the hard drive kit on amazon or ebay which leaves HP Partsurfer:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=813510-001

Not sure this laptop is worth any upgrade investment, to be honest. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

The ram question may be solved by installing and running Piriform Speccy.

HP Recommended

We will need the exact model, but generally if the Manual says "onboard" memory it is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. Same with eMMC....that usually means a soldered on hard drive module. Some allow a standard hard drive in addition  but the devil is in the details. Which exact model?

Never mind. Is it this?

Service Manual

Supports up to 2 GB max on-board system memory (Celeron processors only)

Also see p. 37-40. You can have either an eMMC, installed with an adapter or a SATA hard drive installed in a bracket. 

I would get say a 120 gig regular SATA SSD and the hard drive bracket and install that as an upgrade. 

Hard Drive Hardware Kit (includes bracket and cable) 813510-001

I could not find the hard drive kit on amazon or ebay which leaves HP Partsurfer:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=813510-001

Not sure this laptop is worth any upgrade investment, to be honest. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice. I think we will look at getting a bigger hard-disk as the netbook is for a young lad and this is only laptop. He was very excited when he thought we could update it.

All the best

Matt.

HP Recommended

Hi

Many thanks for the advice.

Just for future reference, this part is not orderable when I use HP PartSurfer for both the UK, and United Stateds.

813510-001 (Part Not Orderable) .

I found a few place in the USA ($22) so will see what there delivery is to the UK.

http://www.alinc.com/hard-drive-hardware-kit-includes-hard-813510-001.html

I will go back and get the full serial number but am starting to agree this may not be a sensible upgrade option due to the price of the hardware kit.

Thanks

Matt

HP Recommended

Hi

Strange though it may seem, Cash Converters in Bolton have that make and model, along with lots of other stuff, so maybe you can shop around and pick up a bargain.

$22 plus VAT plus shipping plus VAT = Nightmare.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.