Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC L2U
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP assistance program says I 2033MB of grahpics memory, however CPU Z and the AMD radeon program say I only how 516 MB of graphics memory. 

it has  AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics    

which one is it?
the product number starts with L2U

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You will not be able to change the video memory. You have an AMD APU system where the video is processed right in the processor. Any knowledge somebody might have about how video worked in 2005 just does not apply to this system, it's a new thing. The video function has 512 megs of system memory set aside for video function, but theoretically the video will also be able to grab some more system memory on the fly if ever needed. It never really is because the video "engine" just is not powerful enough to need that much memory. So the advertising says up to 2 gigs of video memory which is theoretically true but does not show up on benchmarking utilities. You do not need to adjust anything. It is very advanced and complex and just works. The video is kind of low medium in power and a lot of people want to make it do more than it is capable of doing and you just can't. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I can't confirm as i'm not sure specifically which model you have, but that sounds like what you'd see when looking at one of the Radeon HD 8400  (or similar) graphics options.    Likely in the BIOS you can configure how much memory (borrowed from RAM) the video can use.    Maybe it's set to 512mb right now but is capable of up to 2GB

Brian

HP Recommended

I can't really change anything in the bios setting 😕

HP Recommended

You will not be able to change the video memory. You have an AMD APU system where the video is processed right in the processor. Any knowledge somebody might have about how video worked in 2005 just does not apply to this system, it's a new thing. The video function has 512 megs of system memory set aside for video function, but theoretically the video will also be able to grab some more system memory on the fly if ever needed. It never really is because the video "engine" just is not powerful enough to need that much memory. So the advertising says up to 2 gigs of video memory which is theoretically true but does not show up on benchmarking utilities. You do not need to adjust anything. It is very advanced and complex and just works. The video is kind of low medium in power and a lot of people want to make it do more than it is capable of doing and you just can't. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.