Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
notebook 15r-005tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
friends pls tell me is it possible to upgrade my hp notebook 15r-005tx laptop memory(ram)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@edd609 wrote:
friends pls tell me is it possible to upgrade my hp notebook 15r-005tx laptop memory(ram)

Hi,

The following shows specs of your computer:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04337709

1. For RAM:

1 or 2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots (depending on model)
2 slots: DDR3L-1600MHz Dual Channel Support (Core processors)
1 slot: DDR3-1333MHz Dual Channel Support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3-1333)(Bay Trail processors)
1 slot: DDR3-1333MHz Dual Channel Support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3-1066)(Bay Trail processors)
Supports dual-channel memory
Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:
● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2) or (4096×2) (not for 32-bit operating system or Windows 7 Home)
● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1 + 4096×1) (not for 32-bit operating system or Windows 7 Home)
● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2) (not for 32-bit operating system)
● 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1 + 2048×1) (not for 32-bit operating system)
● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)
● 2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)

(Your machine uses  1.7 GHz Intel Core i3-4010U with Intel HD Graphics 4400 therefore it has 2 slots). Please use the following manual (page 76) to het part number to buy the right RAM. The manual also shows you how to replace/add RAM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502.ppdf

2. SSD:

Yes, you can replace current HDD with a good brand, standard SSD for laptops and for hardware wise, please use page #59 of the manual to replace HDD.

The quick and easiest way is to buy SSD with at least 512GB, clone HDD to SSD and install it to the HDD bay as shown on page #59.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@edd609 wrote:

Hi,

The following shows specs of your computer:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04337709

1. For RAM:

1 or 2 customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots (depending on model)
2 slots: DDR3L-1600MHz Dual Channel Support (Core processors)
1 slot: DDR3-1333MHz Dual Channel Support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3-1333)(Bay Trail processors)
1 slot: DDR3-1333MHz Dual Channel Support (DDR3L-1600 downgraded to DDR3-1066)(Bay Trail processors)
Supports dual-channel memory
Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:
● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2) or (4096×2) (not for 32-bit operating system or Windows 7 Home)
● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1 + 4096×1) (not for 32-bit operating system or Windows 7 Home)
● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2) (not for 32-bit operating system)
● 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1 + 2048×1) (not for 32-bit operating system)
● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)
● 2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)

(Your machine uses  1.7 GHz Intel Core i3-4010U with Intel HD Graphics 4400 therefore it has 2 slots). Please use the following manual (page 76) to het part number to buy the right RAM. The manual also shows you how to replace/add RAM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04409502.ppdf

2. SSD:

Yes, you can replace current HDD with a good brand, standard SSD for laptops and for hardware wise, please use page #59 of the manual to replace HDD.

The quick and easiest way is to buy SSD with at least 512GB, clone HDD to SSD and install it to the HDD bay as shown on page #59.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hey there edd609 🙂 Welcome to the community! 

benhien gave you some excellent guidance regarding the upgrades.

What are you using the laptop for? Having a SSD as a boot drive is an excellent idea as it would boost the overall performance and responsiveness of the laptop by a lot but, as he mentioned, you'll need at least a 500GB one so you can clone your old drive if you don't want to reinstall everything (OS and applications) and it can be quite costly. 

Having a regular HDD may also do the job done if you are not doing any demanding things on the laptop.

Another option would be to have a hybrid drive such as the WD Blue SSHD and have your OS and most frequently used applications cached on the 8GB SSD portion of the drive for faster loading. 

Post back with some more info or if you need help 🙂

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended
Tku Capt.
Thus info is reallyy going to help me.
HP Recommended
Tku banhein.
The details u gave me is awesome.
Its really helpful.
HP Recommended

You are most welcome 🙂 Feel free to ask if you need more info about the specific limitations of the different SATA types, performance differences between SSDs, HDDs and hybrid drives and the way each of them works. I'd be more than happy to explain! 

You could also contact HP's support about this and ask for some advice on how to proceed based on the usage of the laptop. 🙂 

Captain_WD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.