Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy M6-1206tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I recently updated my Envy M6-1206tx to Windows 10 (clean installation) when I installed a Samsung EVO 850 500gB SSD.  In general it is working well but have noticed the occasional lock-up occurring.  Checked under Samsung Magician Software and it says AHCI mode needs to be activated and under device manager I noticed an unknown device listed and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller seems to be missing.  Snapshot of the Device Manager below:

Device Manager snapshot 

Would appreciate any tips on how to address the missing driver as I am concerned it may be a missing controller that is causing some of my issues.  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for the 0004...

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook i

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

Now what I do for that device is I manually install it so it doesn't add the other software--just to get rid of the !.

That is because a SSD has no moving parts so the driver is not really necessary.

To manually install the driver first install this free file utility.  2nd file is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the sp64144 file you downloaded and select 7-Zip from the list of options.

Have 7-Zip extract to: and let it extract to the file name of the folder.

Then go to the device manager and click on the unknown device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab, click on update driver.

Select the browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created by 7-Zip.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

The other issue...nothing you can do about it.  The BIOS in your PC is set to RAID and  that cannot be changed by any means.  HP set the BIOS in RAID because of the optional hybrid drives that come with some m6 models that have the SSD cache and they have to be set up in RAID mode for some reason.

The only suggestion I can offer to make things work better would be to install the latest Intel RST driver for the chipset your notebook has, and see if that helps.

Your notebook never had the IDE ATA/ATAPI device category.

This is the latest version for the chipset your notebook has.  Do not try any newer.  This W8.1 version works fine on W10.

You want the last file on the left side of the page (SetupRST.exe).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

The Mobile Intel Series 7 Chipset has full TRIM support for SSD's in RAID mode.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

By the way, the hardware ID on the unknown device is below...

Capture1.JPG

Thanks for any suggestions! Cheers.

HP Recommended

Did you update the BIOS firmware before updating to Win10? And is Win10 have HP driver support for your system?

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for the 0004...

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook i

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

Now what I do for that device is I manually install it so it doesn't add the other software--just to get rid of the !.

That is because a SSD has no moving parts so the driver is not really necessary.

To manually install the driver first install this free file utility.  2nd file is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-zip, right click on the sp64144 file you downloaded and select 7-Zip from the list of options.

Have 7-Zip extract to: and let it extract to the file name of the folder.

Then go to the device manager and click on the unknown device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab, click on update driver.

Select the browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created by 7-Zip.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

The other issue...nothing you can do about it.  The BIOS in your PC is set to RAID and  that cannot be changed by any means.  HP set the BIOS in RAID because of the optional hybrid drives that come with some m6 models that have the SSD cache and they have to be set up in RAID mode for some reason.

The only suggestion I can offer to make things work better would be to install the latest Intel RST driver for the chipset your notebook has, and see if that helps.

Your notebook never had the IDE ATA/ATAPI device category.

This is the latest version for the chipset your notebook has.  Do not try any newer.  This W8.1 version works fine on W10.

You want the last file on the left side of the page (SetupRST.exe).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24006/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

The Mobile Intel Series 7 Chipset has full TRIM support for SSD's in RAID mode.

HP Recommended

@zephyr_zx wrote:

Hello all,

I recently updated my Envy M6-1206tx to Windows 10 (clean installation) when I installed a Samsung EVO 850 500gB SSD.  In general it is working well but have noticed the occasional lock-up occurring.  Checked under Samsung Magician Software and it says AHCI mode needs to be activated and under device manager I noticed an unknown device listed and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller seems to be missing.  Snapshot of the Device Manager below:

Would appreciate any tips on how to address the missing driver as I am concerned it may be a missing controller that is causing some of my issues.  Thanks in advance!

Here's what the HP driver site says for Windows 10: it only list Official HP driver support for Windows 8 as shown.

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m6-Notebook-PC-series/5330543/model/5358802

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------

Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion - it does not appear that a newed BIOS than the one the notebook came with in available - certainly nothing is being suggested by HP's automated checking tool an dI cannot find a listing of BIOS files anywhere on their site. Cheers...

HP Recommended

Thank you for your super quick and detailed response.  It made the fixes very easy.  The missing driver noted under Device Manager has now been resolved and I have updated the Intel Raid driver as suggested.  Will now monitor going forward.  

Best regards...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may also find this thread of interest to you--especially where fliersrr posted the samsung SSD benchmarking results.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-enable-AHCI-for-HP-ENVY-...

You can test if TRIM is supported by running the Disk Optimization utility in W10 under the Windows Administrative tools section.

It should trim the drive in a few seconds time.

HP Recommended
I still can find it my windows 10 is acting up and it told me on the website to find that and disable something but I'm not good with computers I just need to find IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers there not in the device manager
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.