Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Simple pass was working fine last night.  Tried using it just now and it won't even light up.  When I try to launch from the start menu it keeps saying "fingerprint reader not detected." 

Is there dust/debris in there or something?  I don't know what's up with this thing.  Do I need to reinstall or update something? 

I hope this isn't the first of many problems to come....or I'm going to pull my hair out!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for all the help!!!! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nope, that is good...Can you tell me, if this issue has happen after powering it up today or the system has waken up from Sleep/hibernation mode...

And for now, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling HP Simplepass software...To reinstall simplepass, it is there in recovery manager under Software...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Check in device manager, if you see an entry related to Validity under Biometric Device...If it not there, than install this drive and check... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47501-48000/sp47702.exe

If that fixes the issue, I would suggest monitoring the issue...post back if it happens again...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying.

I checked under biometrics devices and it says "validity sensor" below it.  When I click, it says that it is working fine.  SHould I unistall and then reinstall?

HP Recommended

Nope, that is good...Can you tell me, if this issue has happen after powering it up today or the system has waken up from Sleep/hibernation mode...

And for now, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling HP Simplepass software...To reinstall simplepass, it is there in recovery manager under Software...

HP Recommended

OK, don't know what the problem was but it works after the uninstall/reinstall.

I've never had this problem before but it stopped working when I tried to wake from sleep/hibernation mode. 

Thanks for the help!!!!!! 🙂

HP Recommended

Ah ha! OK so after sleep...This is if the problem happens again in future...

You will need to go to device manager - > Biometric Device, Double click on Validity....that will launch properties windows,...Click Power Management Tab... on that tab, uncheck where it states "Allow The computer to turn off the device to save power"... 

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Problem with not working Validity fingerprint reader after waken up from sleep mode was fixed in newer drivers.

First uninstall again Validty fingerprint sensor driver and HP SimplePass software.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Download and install:

Validity sensor driver sp49561

When you will do this install again HP SimplePass software.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

@Daniel_Potyrala wrote:

Hi guys,

Problem with not working Validity fingerprint reader after waken up from sleep mode was fixed in newer drivers.

First uninstall again Validty fingerprint sensor driver and HP SimplePass software.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Download and install:

Validity sensor driver sp49561

When you will do this install again HP SimplePass software.

Check this post...the user had, the same Validity Driver version....but it did not working....http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/Fingerprint-reader-not-detected-when-resumi...

The fingerprint Reader is connected to USB Header on the system board...So it is inheriting some of the issue related to USB....as of now that is the only work around for it...

HP Recommended

Hi again,

2.1.0.2 driver version is in few Validity packages. For example:SP47801, SP47865, SP48509 and SP49561.

When user is reporting that driver with this version is not working then you can't assume that this information is sufficient to diagnose which SP is faulty. Driver 2.1.0.2 with 4.1.136 package solved this problem for the first time (if I remember well).

PS.

I do not fight with you. I've got more interesting things to do.

I'm just trying to help this user and at the same time I'm giving you tips to solve this problem in the future.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Hi, my first post so please be gentle 🙂

I have a new pavilion dv4-2173nr (took it out of the box a few hours ago). Everything is fine except that the fingerprint reader is not detected; in addition, the Reader dies *NOT* appear in the Device manager.

Would one of the solutions listed in this thread be appropriate to load to allow the Reader to be idnetified by the system?

Thanks to all for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.