Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

My computer has been really slow recently. I tried formatting and reinstall, but it didn't help. When I checked system event log, I saw this warning message multiple times:

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Warning!
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for X seconds since the last report.

My CPU temps are OK, and I've updated BIOS and all drivers. All power-saving settings are set for maximum performance. Does somebody know what causes this problem and how it's fixed?

Model: Pavilion DV7 6010so

CPU: AMD Turion P560 Dual-Core Processor

EDIT: According to PassMark performance test, my CPU performance is one-third of excepted. There's definitely something wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't have the core parking feature anyway, it's Intel only, I guess.

Using AMD Overdrive didn's completely solve the problem, as something forced the multiplier back to 4 few minutes after changing it. I figured it had to be some kind BIOS-side power saving "feature", but HP's official BIOS sucks and there aren't any options related to it. I installed modded BIOS (it's risky, I know), disabled AMD Cool'n'Quiet-mode and now the multiplier sticks at 12.5x.

Pretty weird, huh? Cool'n'Quiet is supposed to raise multiplier when needed and lower it when computer is idle, but for some reason it stopped working correctly few months ago and stuck the multiplier at 4x.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem..

It started last night all the sudden...   the Laptop did a reboot and since then  6 processors are having the same problem.

it's sooooo slow... it feels like an old 286

Did you get the issue resolved?

HP Recommended

Hello pka4916,

You’re having a problem with the speed of your processor.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

If the problem is still not fixed Try to roll back you BIOS to a version that was working correctly.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

That's weird,  since it was working fine for months  and no firmware update..

I did the reset..   Did not work.

I restore to 4 days ago..   Same problem.

When I look in the Event log.. it's all clean  up to todays date, where it fails again.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

pka4916,

Did you go through the steps to roll back the BIOS?

I was thinking that an update was applied to the BIOS and a system restore will not undo a BIOS update.

The only thing that I can think of is that one or some of the cores of the processor are failing.

Turn off the computer.
As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

I will run the F2 test..

Odd that all 8 cores are failing at the same time.

I do remember that my laptop rebooted all the sudden, and when it came back up, 

my DVD and 2nd HD we're missing.

So I did another reboot, and then they we're back..

When I started working on my programs I noticed that I was working on a 386  speed 😞

HP Recommended

OK, test is done, and  Memory / HD  is all ok.

Think I am going to be SOL here 😞

HP Recommended

I've tried following stuff, none of which worked:

Checking power-saving settings

Updating all drivers

Cleaning CPU fan

BIOS rollback

Reset from recovery partition

Complete format and reinstall from Windows CD

This is really driving me insane! I guess it's time to buy a new PC, and it sure isn't going to be HP...

HP Recommended

Same here...

Problem is, I just have it for a few months. and don't feel like mailing it in for repair and wait 3 weeks..

I need this for my work...  but Support doesn't understand that..

To them you're just a number who gives $$$...   no wonder why it's all going downhill..

Thanks to support on an island somewhere..

HP Recommended

ok.. I updated the BIOS to the latest version.

All the errors are gone.. but the system  is crawling....   so it seems that just the messages are removed... ?

Tried a reinstall from Windows 7,  but no joy...  

Welcome to the 80's....

Any other suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.