Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got ProBook 4310s notebook. 1 week ago.

Windows 7

I've noticed several times that my battery is not charging when adapter is connected.

I was noticing it on different battery levels: 6%, 60% and 96%.

Workaround that helped:

- Turn Off laptop, remove battery, insert battery turn on again;

- Press Power Button, wait until laptop restarts.

Problem occurs after these workaround, which means they are not acceptable (though help to charge battery). I'm afraid that it might battery/laptop is defective.

Could someone assist.

174 REPLIES 174
HP Recommended

I just bought my 4310s a few weeks ago and encountered that problem for the first time. Any updates on what causes this or what can be done besides removing/replacing the battery?

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem with my hp dv6 1256TX.. fed up with the problem.. if this continue i'm gonna recommend my college mates to stay away from HP. Ya.. there are many of them searching for the appropriate brand of laptop. I'm gonna post this message in my blog and everywhere that I can. I'm fed up that  much with such problems constantly occuring to my PC..

HP Recommended

I also do have the same problem time to time. Someone from HP please explain what is happening.

My Machine: ProBook 4420s with Windows 7

HP Recommended

Working out of town with my laptop, I experience a similar problem and reviewed the forums trying to figure out what was going on and how to fix the problem.   I tried everything suggested in the the forums and nothing worked.  I returned home today thinking I must have a hardware problem and thinking I would have to see about getting a warranty replacement... since my computer is only about nine months old.

Today, I know what my problem was.  My aftermarket charger by Targus was the culprit.  Never had a problem with it before this week (it has been used for travel since I bought this computer and before that with a previous laptop) but something must have failed/malfunctioned with the charger.  As soon as I got to my office and plugged in the original HP charger the "plugged in not charging" message went away and my battery began to charge.  I ordered a new HP charger for travel and think that my problem is solved.  So... if you have a similar problem... check your AC adapter charger.

HP Recommended

My AC adapter is factory HP and I still have this issue so it is not simply a result of using a third-party adapter.  

This issue has been occurring for over a year.  It is ludicrous that it has not been addressed by HP

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavillion dv73063 CL, factory installed windows 7 and my battery is plugged in and reads "NOT CHARGING".

It is not even a year old.  I have been having the problem for 2 months and I thought it was my cord.  HP- get with the program and fix your mistakes.  Obviously, there are problems.  I cannot recommend HP for this reason. 

HP Recommended

Try this:
Disconnect AC
Shutdown
Remove battery
Connect AC
Startup
Open Device Manager
Click the plus (+) sign next to Batteries category, right-click All of the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" listings, and select Uninstall In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog box, click OK. (it’s ok if you only have 1 of these listings).
Click the plus (+) sign next to System Devices.
Right-click the “ACPI Fixed Features Button" and select Uninstall. In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog box, click OK.
Shutdown
Disconnect AC
Insert battery
Connect AC
Startup

HP Recommended

I have already repaired the power port on one HP Pavilion DV laptop and just had another one break. The flaw is with the power port on the laptop, not the power supply or the battery. The port cannot withstand normal wear and tear of removal, insertion and reasonable perpendicular pressure that is bound to occur while it is inserted. This flaw allows the port to become expanded or mis-aligned so that it no longer makes contact with the power supply plug.

I have yet to see HP post a recall or issue a notice, but this is happening to frequently and they need to do something about it.

HP Recommended

Uninstalling the ACPI Battery Control Method as described, and then doing a "Scan for Hardware Changes" and allowing Windows 7 to re-install it, fixed the problem and the battery started charging again.

Hopefully this is the reason why the system stopped automatically hibernating and doing power control, if not, yet further problems for this DV9700.

Thanks a lot for the post with the fix method.

Alec

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.