Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi. I've bought my HP EliteBook 840 G1 in March 2014 and am experiencing this "plugged in, not charging" problem recently.

Everything is connected and i've tried uninstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery when i searched online for help but to no avail.

I've also done the battery test through the HP support assistant and they said that battery is ok and its functioning correctly. 

However the test also have said that my secondary battery was not detected. 

Can anyone help? 😞

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum.

Please shut down the laptop and disconnect the chrager and the take the battery out, also disconnect all the device and the cables if you have connected and then press and hold the power button for about a minute without the battery and the charger plugged in. After a minute release the power button and then just plug the charger and turn on the unit and then once the unit boots into windows insert the battery and check.

If the above step does not resolve the issue then please update the BIOS.

Please click on the below link to download and update the BIOS

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405363&sp...

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

Hope this helps, for any further queries please reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

SJ_Bradley

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:

1. It is not advisable to use the Notebook when the Power Adapter is connected

2. It is not advisable to keep the Power Adapter plugged in even after the Battery is fully charged

3. You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again

4. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

5. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

6. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

7. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821536 

Calibrating the Notebook Battery (Windows Vista)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817650

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
(Replying to the first solution post) This worked despite my skepticism; my laptop was dead as a doornail, and I thought I had tried everything...Thank you SJ Bradley, you may be a genius!
HP Recommended

That worked.  I came back to this post just to say thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.