Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15ac147d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The hard drive failed ran HP diagnostic. the hard drive is on the board so I am told. I have never replaced a hard drive on the board.  Any help of where to find information on how to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No not on the board. 

Manual

See p. 43. Not super easy to access, but possible to remove and replace with a different hard drive or even a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. 

Post back if you need more help. 

This would be an exact replacement but there are faster/better options if you want to spend a bit more:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-1TB-Laptop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00DCM91WQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1480461339&s...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

No not on the board. 

Manual

See p. 43. Not super easy to access, but possible to remove and replace with a different hard drive or even a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. 

Post back if you need more help. 

This would be an exact replacement but there are faster/better options if you want to spend a bit more:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-1TB-Laptop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00DCM91WQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1480461339&s...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Would any 2.5 drive work and what are the faster options. The other problem I have is I lost the operating system right

HP Recommended

Any 2.5 inch SATA drive 7 mm thick will work which includes some hard drives (often they are thicker) and all solid state drives. Solid state drives and hybrid drives are faster, and solid state drives are way, way faster. A 500 gig solid state drive will cost around $125 for example. Post back if you want to explore that. 

If the laptop had Windows 10 on it and activated, you can download directly from Microsoft a DVD image or thumb drive image to replace Windows 10 on your laptop. Apps must be replaced separately and you can get drivers here, but at least you can get Windows itself for free. 

HP Recommended

Hi, Could u please send me the think to the manual on how to open the case the the laptop

HP Recommended

It's the link in my first post that says "Manual" and here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6KxAly9cQ

Bought this laptop from eBuyer and noticed there aren't any guides showing you how to replace the HDD/SSD; so here you go! If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you. Enjoy! Don't forget to like, comment & subscribe for more videos!
HP Recommended

Hi, Harddr removed and replaced with your great help. The video was right on. You mentioned before about obtaing an image for the operating system due to the drive going bad. Could you please explain how to go about doin g so. Thanks so much for all your help. tim

HP Recommended

Just google Microsoft Media Creation Tool. It will take you to a  site where you can download a disk (DVD) image or thumb drive image and create a Windows 10 reinstallation medium. As I said, you can then find drivers and (some) apps here.

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.