Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The smart hard disk check has detected an imminent failure

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I'm getting the same error at startup. Just posted it. Hopefully someone in here knows what to do.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The error would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced.  If you can still boot into Windows, I would strongly suggest backing-up all your personal files etc as soon as possible.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I know this is an old post; but my laptop has "hard disk 1 smart 301" error and I have a brand new identical hard drive to install; but was wondering if you can help me with this.  I made a set of the system recovery disks.  Can I use them on my laptop?

HP Pavillion dv6 notebook PC

Product #XZ714AV

HP Recommended

I presently have the same problem with dv6-1334ca. I installed the new HDD (Seagate rather than Toshiba) but am having an issue trying to set the new drive as the C: drive and make this partition bootable.

HP Recommended

Hi, I got the same problem with HP pavilion dv6 notebook.

I did the backup on my external hardrive, still can use the computer but constants messages about this problem... how long can the computer run like that for?

i don't think I still got warrantly as I got the laptop for more than 1 year now.

I would like to know how to change my hard drive myself, can you give me a guide?

thank you

elodey

HP Recommended

For all of you, here is the manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339.pdf

Hard drive replacement begins on page 54. 

HP Recommended

thank you very muck for the manual.

what is exactly the kind of hardrive I need for my computer.

the model is : dv6-3138TX

product number : XV830PA#ABG

thanks

HP Recommended

To recover all information on your computer o laptop my sugestion would be the following: if you have windows 7, go to Start> All programs> Accessories> System tools> Windows Easy Transfer

This will save ALL your info, including your favorites. In the new Harddrive, after installing windows 7 do same steps but instead of old computer chick New....you just need and external harddrive to save all information, if you do not have an external hard drive use a memory stick (Flashdrive).

HP Recommended
Hi,
I have the same trouble with my pc notebook model Compaq Presario can61 pc. When I startup my computer I run into hard disk failure (301) before any boot. I have run the disk test (smart) and it fails. I am out of warranty as my laptop dates since 2010. I think my hard disk is completely dead. I should change it . Could you please send me how to guide to change it. Here are some references of my product :
Product number : BY419EA#ABF
Intel celeron 2.2 ghz memory 3giga

Thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.