Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

EDIT:  If you have recently upgraded to Windows 8 and are experiencing this issue please read this document.

Here are some tips for resolving a webcam not detected problem.  I see this question get asked a lot so here are the steps you should take to resolve the issue.

To begin you should make sure the device is being detected by Windows.  The following instructions are for Windows 7, but should be very similar for Windows Vista and Windows 8. 

Option 1: Check Device Manager to make sure it is working properly.

1. Click your Start button, type “Device Manager,” and press Enter.
  2. Once Device Manager loads click “View” and then “Show Hidden Devices.”
  3. Locate the “Imaging Devices” section.
  4. Note whether you see the webcam here.
  5. If the webcam is listed, right click it and verify that it is not “Disabled.”
  6. If webcam is listed and not disabled, move onto Option 2.  If the webcam is not listed you will move onto Option 4. 

Option 2:   Allow Windows to Re-install the device.

1. While still in Device Manager right click on your webcam and select “Uninstall”
  2. If prompted select “remove driver and driver package.”
  3. Reboot your notebook and allow Windows to attempt to reinstall the webcam.
  4. If Windows detects the webcam verify the functionality of the webcam.
  5. If Windows does not detect the webcam and install it move onto Option 3.

Option 3:  Manually install the drivers for your webcam. 

1. Use this website to determine your product/model number. 
  2. Visit the HP Support Page and use this product number to visit your product’s specific page.
  3. Go to “Drivers and Software” and locate the driver for your webcam.  NOTE: the drivers for the webcam are sometimes bundled with the YouCam software.
  4. Download and install this driver.
  5. Reboot the PC.
  6. Verify functionality. 

Option 4:  Manually re-detecting the hardware.

1. Disconnect all external devices.
  2. Shut down the notebook.
  3. Remove the battery and AC power.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  5. Reinstall the battery and AC power.  Then turn the notebook on.
  6. Once Windows is loaded go back to Device Manager.
  7. Selection “Action” and then “Scan for hardware changes.”
  8. If Device Manager detects the hardware allow it to install.
  9. If Device Manager does not detect the hardware see Option 5.

Option 5: System Restore and System Recovery. 

This is outlined very well in this document.  Note that any data that is not backed up prior to a recovery will be lost.

Options 6: Repair or replacement.

If none of these solutions have worked for you it is likely that you are experiencing a hardware failure.  It is possible to replace the webcam or reseat a loose ribbon cable.  However, this is one of the more difficult repairs on the notebook.  If you would like to attempt this repair you can visit your notebook’s support page and navigate to the “Manuals” section.  There is normally a “Maintenance and Service Guide” for the notebooks, this will cover the disassembly of the notebook.  You can then use HP Parts Surfer to locate the part for your notebook.

**bleep**

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope everyone finds this information helpful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I hope everyone finds this information helpful!

HP Recommended

This is VERY LIKELY a problem with the hardware. For me, and many others in this boat, this was NOT a software problem. Don't waste your time with all of this without seeing if your webcam has come unplugged behind the frame of your monitor. The cable comes unplugged very easily and needs to be set back in place. HP knows about this issue but they aren't talking. Either send it back to HP, or risk it and open the frame like I did. It is a very easy fix. I added a very small dab (like a drop) of clear silicon over the joint when the plugs meet to hold it in place. (Because after the first time I repaired this issue it came unplugged within a month)

Trust me, this is the place to start. HP knows it. 

Call HP on this crap!

Tymn

HP Recommended

MisterTymnus, I think I may be in the same boat as you. Was getting behind the frame of the monitor to reonnect the cord difficult? About how long was the process, and how hard was it? I'd like to fix this problem myself but I don't want to chance it if iturns out to be too difficult...

Thanks

HP Recommended

I clicked show hidden devices and I still do not see anything that says imaging device

HP Recommended

Sorry for LONG delay in repying. I don't come in here ver often... busy life.

Disclainer: I don't work for HP, making attempts to repair your computer on your own is something that you computer do at your own risk, and YES it will probably void your warranty. I assume no liability if you try this and am not responsible for damage to your computer or yourself.  Furthermore, I would NOT advise telling any technicians that you opened your computer yourself. Just sayin...

With that said:

The process of pluggin yr webcam back in is not difficulta at all, though I have to say that the problem does recurr for me every few weeks and I have to go back and do it again. That sucks. There is a good possibility that the wire that they used is too short or that the connector itself is faulty. Any how, there is little risk of hurting your computer if you have good dexterity and eye sight. Make sure that you do this in a clean and well lit place, and that you are grounded to avoid static.  Have a little bowl handy for the VERY small screws that you take out.

Process:

1. Remove rubber feet. Stick them to the edge of the bowl.

2. Remove the two tiny screws at the base of the monitor.

3. Begin using your fingernails along the top left ridge and then across the top towards the right gently prying the flimsy but flexible plastic away from the top layer of the monitor (Note: There is some double sided tape along the top edge of the monitor frame so try not to remove the tape

4. Gently pry the frame away from the the left side, then down the right side. (Don't use any metal tools to do this)

Also Note: You don't really have to take the frame completly off, so you can get away with just exposing the camera area and plugging the camera in.  

5. Locate the small white connector to the right of the camera and gently push UP from the bottom where the wire is plugged in. You will notice how easily it comes out and in. It doesn't really "snap" into place. This is likely the whole problem. Bummer for HP and for us.

That is really all there is too it, your repair is complete.  You can even test to see if it is working with the computer ON before you close the frame back up.

**bleep**

7. Put your computer back together in reverse order. It pretty much just snaps back together. Take your time, be careful. Don't force anything

8. Have fun with your fixed web cam.  

Good luck,

MisterTymnus 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.