Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP G72-227WM laptop with Pentium T4500 CPU, I know i5-540M is compatible according to HP, the question i need answered is.... " Are the T4500 and i5-540M sockets the same?" will it be as simple as popping one out and another in? or will there be soldering involved? My confusion comes from cpu-world.com comparison of the two CPU's, they list the T4500 as a replaceable P socket type and the i5-540M as a non replaceable BGA1288. I have attached the link to this website for a reference

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/919/Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-540M_(BGA)_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_M...

HP's part number for the i5-540M is 594188-001, is this the same processor listed in the article or is HP's a different socket that will simply pop into place.

thanks for the assistance

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You only need to check the BIOS, if BIOS supported it then you are ok. What is your machine ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My machine is a HP- G72-227WM laptop with 8GB Ram  windows 7 O/S....... so your saying the sockets are exactly the same? no soldering required

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can find a list of processors supported on the first manual of the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4290949&

Pleae check BIOS under Drivers section of the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&product=4290949

(2011-05-03 , VersionF.37, 6.58M).

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have already checked that list.... the T4500 is a P socket processor and the i5-540M isnt a p socket.... so how do you get it to work? that is what i need to know

HP Recommended

Hi,

You have not read my previous reply.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
Ok how do I check the bios to see which processor is supported
HP Recommended

Ok i have the latest bios you listed in the post, but how do i know the physical fit of the new processor will work?

HP Recommended

Ok, this is the processor I have purchased can you tell me if it will work

Intel Core i5 Mobile i5-540M 2.533 GHz Laptop CPU CP80617004116AD SLBTV

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.