Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello friends,

I am seeing conflicting info about whether I can upgrade the memory in my laptop. Some sites say there's 1 memory slot; others say there are two. The only thing the sites have in common is that the slots are DIMM, not SIMM.

Without having to stop using my laptop in order to open it up, I'd like confirmation of:

1) how many memory slots this unit has (1 or 2)

2) the maximum recommended memory (8GB or 16GB)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Page 3 of the Service Manual has the memory specs:

Manual

You have the AMD A6 processor so you do have 2 slots, and the Manual says it is 12 gigs max memory (8 + 4). However, based on other posts here we know it will take 2 x 8 gigs for 16 gigs total. 

Since it likely still has the original 4 gig module I would just add another one to have 8. The improvement from 8 gigs to 16 is likely to be disappointing given that this is not a terribly high end processor. The 4 gig to 8 gig upgrade is going to be your best cost/benefit proposition. 

The memory it takes is DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM

4 GB memory module 691740-005

8 GB memory module 693374-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Needs to be low density (8 black blocks on the side). On AMD models the 1600 mhz memory will downclock to 1333mhz. 

See pages 116-117 for instructions but be advised for this model is very difficult to upgrade the memory; you must actually remove the system board. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Page 3 of the Service Manual has the memory specs:

Manual

You have the AMD A6 processor so you do have 2 slots, and the Manual says it is 12 gigs max memory (8 + 4). However, based on other posts here we know it will take 2 x 8 gigs for 16 gigs total. 

Since it likely still has the original 4 gig module I would just add another one to have 8. The improvement from 8 gigs to 16 is likely to be disappointing given that this is not a terribly high end processor. The 4 gig to 8 gig upgrade is going to be your best cost/benefit proposition. 

The memory it takes is DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM

4 GB memory module 691740-005

8 GB memory module 693374-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Needs to be low density (8 black blocks on the side). On AMD models the 1600 mhz memory will downclock to 1333mhz. 

See pages 116-117 for instructions but be advised for this model is very difficult to upgrade the memory; you must actually remove the system board. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, Huffer! I really appreciated your detailed response, especially regarding value for money (i.e., 8 vs 16).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.