Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am working on a hp pavilion dm4 1160us   windows 7 64 bit and when you choose shutdown it shuts down and restarts, just as if you pressed the power button....  No error messages.  I did update the bios to try and fix the problem but no help.  I also reinstalled the graphics driver with no help.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi Wtipton2,

Stubborn thing!

Hard Reset:

Sometimes all you need to do is kick the computer.  This method works for a variety of connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note: You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out.  If you like, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-

I tried the hard reset, but still when I choose shutdownit stil restarts....  power button???  motbo???

HP Recommended

This is something to do with the registry setting of the NB, the Shutdown Button is incorrectly configured for Restart ,,,,,,Playing with the registry may end up with some problems My advice do System Recovery......

HP Recommended

I did a system recovery and updated the bios,NO GO ... maybe a fresh instal lof win64?

HP Recommended

Wipton2,

I found this - there is no explanation on why Windows goes sideways, thinking it's crashing when it's only being shut downl; nonetheless, this setting may help until you do track it down or decide on a long term fix.

Control Panel > icon view > System > Advanced system settings > Startup and Recovery >

Settings > System failure > UNCHECK Automatically Restart > OK ...

You'll want to go back and check for recent changes - new devices added, updates... something has changed that makes your system think that the shutdown is a crash.

There may be something running, a process, that won't stop properly.  If you have not done so, it might be time to run a deep scan of your file system: using sfc  AND  then using your best  anti-virus software.   The sfc scan will help make sure the file system is healthy and that is your first line of defence.  The Anti-virus scan will help make sure you don't have anything on the system that does not belong there.

====================================================================================

sfc-scannow

Scan and repair the system.  The sfc /scannow command will do that - it will scan the operating system, looking for corrupted files and inconsistencies; it will replace and repair whatever it can.  If it finds corrupted programs or libraries, it will try to fix them.

• Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Right-Click Command Prompt > Select 'Run as Administrator'
  • In the Command Prompt Window, type (or copy / paste) sfc /scannow and press Enter

(Note the space between sfc and the "/".)

The sfc scan will report its findings and you can examine the results:

• Open a Command Prompt (does not have to be as Administrator):
  • Use the copy command to create a readable file copy of the output:

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt

If “scannow” does not complete properly, try running:

sfc /verifyonly

Copy the results into a text file, pull the output file into Notepad and look for the errors that the full Scan could not fix.

Help File for the System File Checker Command:

System File Checker tool Windows Vista or on Windows 7

====================================================================================

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Hi, have u fixed this problem yet? I m experiencing the same problem.
HP Recommended

Hi Vivian,

The issue remains a mystery.  We didn't hear back from Wipton2.  Either the advice wasn't helpful, the user found another fix, the computer died completely, or... ??

Here's what I suspect after reading about this (I've never seen it) in the link (from my previous post): It appears that in some cases there is something about the shutdown that is making windows think the computer is crashing instead of shutting down.  The solution posted is what we used to call a "Workaround" - that is, NOT a fix, just a bandaid meant to maybe stop the initial problem (restart)  from manifesting itself.  If the underlying problem is not hardware, then the workaround may provide relief.

If you have not done so, you should run a sfc scan on your system (as shown in my earlier Post) - regardless of all else, (and again, unless this is hardware) - the system is not going to behave itself unless the file system is healthy.  Your first line of defense against all stupid stuff that happens to your computer is a healthy file system.

OK... still hoping this is not hardware...

Next, look at what has changed - have you added any software recently?  Something that may be hanging around and running when it should not be still running?  Something that "will NOT die"?

Start > search / type "resour" > Click on "Resource Monitor"

Look at what's running.  Yeah, there's a lot - don't expect to understand it all.. but you may notice if something is really "out of whack".  You can Google it and find out what "it" is...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the system running slower lately?  Have you run a deep Anti-virus scan on it recently?  Maybe it's infected....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur

I have this problem.  I am researching how to fix it, and finding it very difficult to find good information.

I upgraded from Vista to Win 7, but did not remember seeing the problem when I upgraded.  From what I have read online, some people have seen the issure here.

My original video card crapped out on me.

The problem started after I installed a new video card and power supply I think.

I have dissabled the restart on system failure, so I do not believe that your theory is correct at least for me.  The PC restarts after shutdown.  There is no indication the system has failed or thinks it has failed.

This is a very annoying problem.  Compounding my frustration I am also receiving an occasional error related to the new video card driver GTX 560 Ti.  display driver failed but has recovered

I am running the following NVidia Driver:

I have replaced the new video card with another model built by Nvidia directly however I have received this error again to my dismay.  On some occasions I was getting a pink screen with some flashing pixels randomly located on the screen.  This occurance is rare, but can be persistant when it occurs.  Needless to say it is the worst of all the problems and the reason I brought the first new video card in for replacement when it happened a second time after having gone away.

I have run sfc /scannow

I have run an anti-virus deep scan

The PC runs well without issue until I see the display driver error.  Generally this is randomly and not necessarily caused by a lot of use or high end graphics.

The PC will not shutdown without removal of the power.  On a shutdown it always restarts now consistantly.

Thanks for reading my description of issues.

Bast

HP Recommended
I mean, I cannot get a normal shutdown, but consistently have the issue described above. I think that was obvious, but cannot hurt to clarify.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.