Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
13-s102nu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the onboard 128 SSD with a 512 Transcend SSD370.

I want to know exactly IF and WHICH bracket and connector I need to use.

The guide mentions this 2:

The solid-state drive bracket and solid-state drive connector adapter are included in the solid-state drive Hardware Kit, spare part number 809826-001.

The hard drive bracket and hard drive connector adapter are included in the Hard Drive Hardware Kit, spare part
number 808238-001.

Which one then?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

809826-001 is already inside your computer to adapt your solid state drive, which is an M.2 mSSD nickname "gumstick" based on its shape. The device for which you gave the link is the right adapter for use with a 2.5 inch form factor hard drive OR SSD as the SSD370. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The Manual could be a little clearer but the hard drive options in this model are like a Chinese Menu...one from Column A or one from Column B, but not both. According to the specs, your laptop has a 128 gig M.2 mSSD.

Your Service Manual

See p. 14, items 12, 13 and 15. Also look at the bay in the lower right corner of the diagram on p. 14 and also look at page 29. Page 29 does not show it, but if you open up the laptop you are going to find a small "gumstick" type M.2 mSSD drive and an adapter (items 12 and 13) filling up that bay. If you wanted to install a larger (bigger capacity) M.2 mSSD all you need is a "gumstick" M.2 drive of larger capacity. If you want to install a 2.5 inch SSD SATA drive of the same dimensions as a hard drive then you need item 15 part number 808238-001, which you do not have, plus the 2.5 inch SATA drive.  The SSD370 you speak of is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. It would be easier and cheaper just to install a 512 gig M.2 mSSD gumstick module.

http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-USA-Premier-0-85-Inch-ASP900NS38-512GM-C/dp/B00LBEOOPQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&i...

The cost of a SATA SSSD of the 2.5 inch variety and a 512 gig SATA-based M.2 are about the same, as is the speed of them. Your laptop cannot use the NVME/PCI-e type M.2 modules which are more expensive but also a couple times faster. 

Changing out the SSD is going to put the warranty in potential jeopardy I feeel like I have to say but I personally would not let that stop me. But that's me. 

I hope this explains it. If not post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Can you confirm this is enough please , for my SSD370?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/808238-001-Hp-M6-W015DX-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Kit-Grade-A-/171987330186

So what is  code 809826-001 for? Is this the gumstick you talk of? I don't see any gumstick components for sale.

HP Recommended

809826-001 is already inside your computer to adapt your solid state drive, which is an M.2 mSSD nickname "gumstick" based on its shape. The device for which you gave the link is the right adapter for use with a 2.5 inch form factor hard drive OR SSD as the SSD370. 

HP Recommended

Just purchase the HP Pavilion x360 m3-u003dx it has a 128SSD m.2 i would like to replace it with a  samsung 

SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB MZ-N5E500BW.  I have three question

The Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB MZ-N5E500BW will this work or is there a better ssd for the X360

Price on this is $ 169 

Can two SSD be installed ? i can leave the 128 and & add the 500

What happen to my OS and software the laptop does not have a HD. Only the 128 SSD ? Can i just replace it and the OS and everything is there?

Thanks

Any input please

HP Recommended

Thanks for your kind answer Huffer.

I have finally followed your suggestion and ordered the 512 M2 ssd.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.