Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

This morning when I plugged my HP G62 into the mains nothing happened. I knew the battery was flat but there appeared to be nothing going through the charger. Several attempts later it started to charge and the machine booted up as normal. There were 18 windows upgrades to go through on restart and when the machine was back on again I noticed that the charging symbol was absent from the battery icon and has remained so ever since. Also, the battery seems to be losing power quicker than before.

The machine is only 17 months old and I have had no previous problems.

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried the small arrow at the right hand corner ?

• Just click it,
  • Click Customize
  • Select your prepered option

notify.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The icon is there but the ''plug'' symbol is not showing which it should be doing as it is charging.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem and I have had it for months. I'm pretty sure it started following a Windows 7 update. The actual charging function works fine and the battery stays completely charged. However the icon only shows the battery and not the plug so Windows thinks the system is running on the battery. It even uses the power profile for battery. This is on an HP Pavillion dv7 3060us with Win7 64-bit professional. Now all of tihs wouldn't be so bad except that Windows won't install a service pack running only on battery power so unless you can do your SP upgrade during one of the random times that the icon does show the plug, you can't install a new SP. There is no rhyme or reason to when the icon shows properly and when it doesn't!

Another weird attribute is that if you're running on the battery and the battery gets low, like when it says you only have 13% left, you can plug it in and the battery will charge completely and you can keep right on working; however if the icon doesn't show the plug, when you hover over it you will still see13%, even hours later. I forget exactly what I have to do to get the percentage to be correct at 100, I think restarting will do it.

I contacted MS about this and they maintain that it is a hardware issue and did not really seem to catch on to the fact that the charging function is working fine and that it's just the icon (I assume provided by them) that isn't working properly.

This is annoying and I'd like to get it fixed. 

HP Recommended

I appreciate your reply - this is exactly what I am experiencing! The funny thing is as well - immediately after I got the machine powering up again ( I was on the verge of going to PC World where I bought it from) the next time I restarted there were 19 critical windows updates to do. I have just performed a system restore to the 12th December bit that has had no effect. 

At least there appears to be no major malfunction of machine, battery or charger. Do HP ever take any notice of this forum?

HP Recommended

Did you guys ever figure this out?  I just bought the g62-223cl for my daughter and I have the same issue.  It charges but it doesn't show the charging symbol on the battery icon.  Unfortunately, this has an effect when you are trying to download drivers because they have a requirement that the computer be plugged into a/c power.  Even though the battery is charging the computer doesn't recognize that it's plugged in.

HP Recommended

Well, this is going to sound a little strange but I have discovered that I can usually get the plugged in symbol to appear by unplugging the power cord (coming from the wall) from the power supply block and then plugging it back in and repeating that process over and over until the symbol appears. I don't have any idea why this works but it's the only thing I've discovered that get's it to appear. Sometimes I'll hear a little arc pop when it works but i know it's not a bad cord or power supply as they are both new. 

HP Recommended

Not working for me.  Very frustrating because if the computer doesn't think that it's plugged in it won't install certain updates and programs.

HP Recommended

Same for me..... happened after i did an update too....

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and this may help you guys get this problem figured out.
I got a DV6 laptop for repair with the same problem described in this post and i was able to troubleshoot it because I fortunately own  another HP DV7 series(or maybe unfortunately...), so I went ahead and removed the battery of the computer and try to boot up just with the charger plugged and for some reason the computer won't boot up unless I reinsert the battery, although it charges the battery properly when plugged and battery is on, so the next troubleshoot was using my own charger, not the one from the customer and inexplicably the computer recognized that I had just plugged it in.
Also computer was able to boot up with no battery with my charger but not with it's own charger...

Something must be wrong with these chargers, might be defective or something, this can't be a coincidence!

Is any HP support guy looking at this that could verify what I'm saying or if this is a known issue... can you guys shed some light as what is going on here? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.