HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
03-01-2012 08:56 PM
Just wanted to mention I have a DV6 1030ca laptop that caught fire today. I am terrified of my laptop now as I was lucky to be home when it happened. I set my laptop down on my dresser while I was making the bed and all of a sudden I smell smoke. I looked over and sure enogh the laptop was on fire as well as my dresser. Thanks god I was still in the room, if I had gone downstairs to make breakfast my house would have caught on fire. It caught fire very quickly, and was very hard to put out. I had to throw my laptop in the snow (first thing I thought of was to get it outside). It still wouldn't go out and my husband finally got the battery out and just kept throwing snow on it till it was out.
It burnt my battery compartment to a crisp. The laptop still stinks of burning plastic.
I am disgusted that this would happen to a $800.00 laptop.
The worst part is I contacted Hp support becuase my laptop battery wasn't working well, heated up too much, and this is the battery they sent me!
Am not happy with hp and if they don't rectify this soon, they will be in trouble. This battery was not even part of their recall.
Be very weary of ALL laptop batteries, not just the ones they tell you may have problems...
04-10-2012 04:14 PM
We experienced the same problem today with our HP DV4 laptop, and calling HP customer support was a complete waste of time. They absolutely denied any responsibility despite the fact that our laptop caught on fire by itself! We too are terrified of what could have happened had we not been home, or worse, if we would have been asleep when the fire started.
My wife smelled smoke coming from the laptop and when she picked it up, flames shot out of the hinge area by the battery compartment. She was nearly burned! Luckily she put the fire out, but the computer is a loss and will not boot up any more. We immediately contacted HP Customer Support (which appears to be somewhere overseas given the accented speech of the tech support person) and we were told that HP was sorry about the fire, but that we would be responsible for repair costs since the laptop was out of warrranty. Seriously? HP sells us an $800+ laptop which catches fire a couple of years later, nearly injures my wife and could have done serious property damage to our home, and they have the nerve to tell us we have to pay for repairs to their dangerously defective product? They must be joking!! We have dozens of electronics in our home (some 10-15 years old or more) and none of them have ever caught fire.
I told the representative that we needed to escalate the issue to someone with better decision making power as this was a serious issue (i.e., others could have the same issue and someone could be seriously hurt) and she told me it was no use and that I would get the same response: HP will not fix the fire issue in the DV4, nor will they admit any responsibility, and we would still need to pay for the repairs. At this point, we are done buying HP products (too many issues in the past and this one in particular is way too serious for HP to ignore). Furthermore, we are considering a lawsuit as numerous HP laptops were recalled for a fire issue, but for some reason our DV4 was not covered. I am sure others have had the same problem (check internet searches for HP laptop fire) so a class action may be in order.
BUYERS PLEASE BEWARE OF HP PRODUCTS: THEY ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND HP WILL APPARENTLY NOT STAND BEHIND THEM IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG OUTSIDE OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD!
04-11-2012 05:53 AM
I agree with you 100%. Hp is not taking any resposibility for their product, they blew me off when I called them about it. Unfortunately I don't think they really care if peoples houses burn down.,
Either way, I purchased a Samsung laptop and am in love with it! So much quieter than HP and the battery compartment does not get hot at all. I will never trust another HP product again in my life, there are better products than theirs out there anyway!