HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-09-2010 01:06 PM
I have a possible solution.
For those who are overheating, buy a fan like the NZXT Cooler. It's expensive but the 3 fans will help in the long run. However, for those of you still experiencing the problem (as I was), do the following steps:
1. Turn off your HP HDX laptop. Unplug all USB, monitor, and other cables and/or attachments (including flash drives or memory sticks).
2. Unplug your HPD HDX from the AC adaptor.
3. Remove the battery from the HP HDX laptop. Set it aside away from the laptop.
4. Bring the HP HDX laptop to an area with little or no static (ie. away from the open and away from metals). Press the power button continously for 30 seconds.
5. Put back the battery (make sure the battery has no static first and, if it does, remove the static by using a static cloth) and plug the laptop back into the AC adaptor.
6. When the computer turns on, you may see the wireless LAN button turn off once. Do not fear. Simply turn it back on and your LAN should stay on as long as the computer doesn't overheat.
Why this works: The laptop has too much static electricity inside of it, causing the wireless touch buttons to become faulty. This does not affect mechanical buttons. The reason for this - I'm only speculating - is because the ground wire inside the laptop, which is designed to safely remove static electricity and channel it elsewhere, is either faulty or too small on the HDX series of laptops, causing static electricity buildup and thus the problems with the touch buttons.
You may have to repeat this process every few months, as the static will continue to build up over time. However, it is a good, permanent solution for your problem - assuming you don't mind having to do maintinance.... Hope this helps.
05-09-2010 05:05 PM
I've made a few entries on this thread, so I thought I would conclude with my final resolution. I ended up shipping the unit back to HP for repair. They paid for a UPS shipping label, box, and instructions...I dropped it off Thursday and had it back in my hands the following Tuesday. It was shipped overnight both ways. It didn't cost me anything.
I don't know what they actually did to it, but it works just fine now! I haven't experienced this problem again after weeks of continuous use.
I would suggest everyone do the same. Most should still be covered under warranty for this problem...you just need to work with one of their support techs first to download a few drivers to see if that fixes the problem. When it doesn't, they will provide a shipping label and box to send it in.
FYI - they restored my HP back to original manufacturing specs...meaning they wiped it clean, and installed Windows Vista back on the machine (I had upgraded to Windows 7)...so make sure you back up everything before sending it in.
Hope that helps!
08-10-2010 05:57 AM
I have a solution that is working for now. I cut strips of anti-static packaging from a hard drive i had just bought and inserted it under the media smart board. It has been a week now and no problems with static buildup.
08-23-2010 07:40 AM
OpsMan88, Could you explain the process on how to do this please? I would like to know what I am doing before I open up my case. Could I use an antistatic bag or to I nead a thin piece of foam or what? Thanks!
11-11-2010 12:26 PM
Hi all. Just wanted to share my experiences.
I've dealt with HP tech support before and had predictable results. So, when this problem cropped up for me last summer calling HP was the last option I wanted to consider. I did make certain that I had the latest BIOS and drivers, but the problem did not go away.
I did a little research and found a number of others with the same issue and everything pointed to hardware being the cause. I ordered a replacement part (you have to get the entire piece surrounding the keyboard which includes the power button, WiFi, and MediaSmart buttons) and I put the part in myself.
It has worked beautifully for well over a year...
Now it's starting to happen again with my WiFi button. Hope it's just a temporary glitch, but I doubt it.
I think it's high time that everyone started calling HP to complain. For the money we pay I think we should expect better quality than this.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck, everybody.
11-22-2010 09:39 AM
I have had the same problem with the volume control and wifi. My warrently has run out. It is so frustrating. Has anyone found a solution (that works for more than a week) that doesn't require me to take the thing apart?
Please help ---- I have no idea what I'm doing and it's driving me mad!
11-22-2010 10:39 AM
See this thread where this also happening to the dv8 series.
It does involve taking the laptop apart however.
I am quite convinced that it is hard ware problem. Some have had luck reseating the ribbon cable at both ends, but a sure fire cure is to disconnect the hot key strip all together, by removing the cable.
Some have reseated their cables, but this still has not worked, which would indicate a defective hotkey strip.
I have taken you to page 6 where there is a post from me on how to access a video from HP's media library. You can navigate to the dv8 or the HDX, it doesn't matter as they are physically the same machine, but with different guts.
12-01-2010 08:48 AM - edited 12-01-2010 08:55 AM
Just an update to my recurring problem:
After a year with the new part I installed, the issue came back with a vengeance. It went from flicking the WiFi off once a day to the point where I just couldn't keep the WiFi on anymore. I would turn it on, and it would almost immediately turn itself back off. It would be almost comical if not for the fact that I paid close to $2000 for my laptop.
The best solution for me was to disconnect the key strip. I had to take my laptop apart (again), remove the ribbon cable, cover the leads with scotch tape, and reassemble my machine. The problem is gone, but now of course none of my volume, WiFi, mute keys, etc.. are useable. In addition, my NumLock LED is out of service. I'm not happy about that.
Given the crappy level of tech support (and equally crappy level of hardware quality) I sincerely doubt that HP even cares about our problems.
I'm due to buy a new PC in the spring, and if HP won't listen to us when we call or e-mail them, then I suppose I'll let my wallet do the talking.
I won't be spending any more money on HP.
Hope you all have better luck than me.
12-04-2010 08:38 AM
I have HDX18 and have the same problem. It usually happens when using my laptop for few hours. I think there is a heat related issue with the wireless/Bluetooth or mother board. The problem goes away when I shut it down and let it cool off, In my case it's defenitely related to heat and once the wireless turns itself off it never comes back on. I usually have to wait until it cools off and have to reboot.
12-04-2010 08:54 AM
I agree with you. I also think it's a heat related issue. My laptop is on all day long, and it usually happens around the same time, usually after 4-5 hours of use. I turn it off or put it into sleep mode for 10-20 min until it cools down then everything is ok for a while again. Sometimes I have to reboot as well to solve the problem. When the problem happens the Bluetooth is off even though the tuch control is blue (false). If you go to control panel and look at the device it says it's turned off. I think there is a safety mechanism in the Bluetooth wireless that turns itself off when it's too hot..