HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
02-03-2011 11:48 AM
First, I wonder if HP has contacted anyone on the Forum personally about the problem? I'm registered, but haven't heard anything.
One web site mentioned that HP will allow returns for a refund or for replacement with a similar model. Anyone aware of this.
Am in HP tech support....if I learn anything, will pass it on.
02-03-2011 12:18 PM
Just off the phone with HP Tech Support. I was offered two options......return the computer for a refund, or keep the computer until Intel implements a solution. I'm tempted to keep it since I got a good deal and from what Intel has said, they can and will fix the problem.
What do you all think?
02-03-2011 12:42 PM
I'm definitely holding onto mine until I can get a comparable replacement. It might not be a dv6t-4000 but it will definitely have a Sandy Bridge CPU in it. The difference between "comparable" priced CPUs in laptops available now from HP is that Sandy Bridge is about 40%+ faster for the same price. It's a matter of buying the last generation at "full price" or holding onto computers none of us have had any problems with until they can be replaced with a comparable system. It's a no-brainer for me.
If you can find a quad-core machine with discrete graphics and similar features and performance for the same price then by all means return and go with something else... but at the $915 I paid for my dv6t-4000 and after extensive benchmarking and normal use tests I couldn't possibly trade down. I'll wait 2 or 3 months and exchange when the fixed machines start shipping. Now if the Envy 14 has a Sandy Bridge refresh by then I might exchange for that but their current specs aren't anywhere near the current dv6 and dv7.
02-03-2011 02:58 PM - edited 03-29-2011 08:55 AM
If you have technical questions about the January 31, 2011 Intel 6 Series chipset announcement, please refer to the Intel website at: http://intel.ly/fY4HfD.
Not all HP computers with Intel chipsets are affected by this issue.
To determine if your HP computer contains the affected chipset and for information regarding your options, refer to the following document on hp.com: Intel(R) 6 Series Chipset Issue May Affect Certain HP Desktop and Notebook PCs.
Note: The link above has been updated with new information as of March 27, 2011
HP Forum Admin
--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
02-03-2011 03:12 PM - edited 02-03-2011 03:15 PM
Thank you Dani for posting this!
NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.
If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
02-03-2011 03:20 PM - edited 02-03-2011 03:22 PM
HPs document is a Intel duplicate of what was posted earlier, not complaining, just saying its not really news.
Thanks to who ever made this thread a sticky.
02-03-2011 03:25 PM - edited 02-03-2011 03:28 PM
Two questions in response to the HP statement above:
- Must customers who have purchased and taken delivery of a laptop containing the flawed Intel chip make a decision within the standard 21 days to exchange for a comparable unit, or can they wait until a laptop that is actually comparable (ie. with a second generation chip) come available?
- Also, what is HP's postion regarding compensating customers for software (specifically Microsoft Office) purchased from HP and used to activate Office on their computer before the the Intel announcement, but who (through no fault of their own) now want to return or exchange a unit affected by the faulty Intel chipset?