HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
08-11-2011 09:44 PM
I just recently (yesterday) brought a dv7-6187cl from sam's club and after some unpacking it and booting it up, I noticed after a while of usuage that I am getting shocked by the aluminum and metal from the ports. I noticed that I do not feel any shock when I unplugged the ac adapter and run on battery. Thus I proceeded to touch the adapter's end and felt the electric shock from the end. I figured it might be because of the wall socket and thus turned to use a new one today. After using the laptop for an hour and turning it off, while unplugging the adapter from the laptop, I felt the shock from the adapter.
I am wondering, is my adapter defective? Should I try to return and exchange a laptop/adapter from sam's club?
08-12-2011 06:27 AM
I would definetely exchange both the laptop and charger straight away.
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer
08-12-2011 07:25 AM
You said that you don't get shocked while running on battery, and that you felt a shock from the adapter on the end. Sounds like the adapter isn't well insulated. I would exchange it ASAP
I am an HP employee.
"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
08-14-2011 08:40 PM
I have used it over the weekend, no shock... only during the first two days... I dont think I would have time tomorrow or the day after but i'll try to exchange at least the charger asap