HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-03-2012 10:04 AM - edited 05-03-2012 10:18 AM
Greetings, I'm a newbie and need help. I have HP Pavilion g4 1212tx laptop with VGA radeon 6470 and intel HD, and 2GB ram with Windows 7 Ultimate running in it. I used to load it with games. When i first look on regedit my VGA is 1,2GB, now I'm upgrading my RAM to 4GB, but when i check regedit my VGA become 2,3GB it's way too much for me. it toots half of my RAM. i don't get it. when i check on device manager/ display adapter properties/ display adapters properties/ resources it's use automatic settings and cant be changed. i check BIOS no options to change the amount of shared memory (advance VGA). MY BIOS feature is few options.
Here is the Questions:
1. what is radeon HD 6470 exactly? is it VGA addon? can i change it or upgrade it to newest one?
2. why there is Intel Graphic HD on it? what is the connections to radeon HD 6470?
3. is radeon HD 6470 have it's own memory and GPU? if yes, how much the amount?
4. if no, how can i change the amount of shared VGA memory that took from RAM? ( other option than BIOS, my bios don't have the setting ) it tooks +2GB of my 4GB RAM.
5. is BIOS upgradeable? if yes how?
Thank you soo much to anyone who answer my question.
05-04-2012 02:58 PM
In this notebook, you have what is called Switchable Graphics, basically there are two GPU's or Graphics Processing Units in your notbook, one has more capability, but uses more power (the AMD), while the other uses less power so the notebook will last longer on battery power (the Intel).
Here is a document that does a good job explaining what is happening on notebooks like yours: