HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
11-28-2008 08:13 PM
So i had my laptop repaired by HP under their extended warranty. Got the motherboard replaced, they did it quickly and when i got it back everything seemed to work great for about 2 weeks.
Now the other day i went to sleep with the computer on and unplugged. When i woke up the next day the battery had obviously died so i went and grabbed the charger and plugged it in and nothing happens!
The blue indicator light around the plug doesn't come on, a small portion of it flickers for about a half a second while i'm plugging it in but once plugged in i get nothing.
Also, the ac adapter makes this weird clicking sound when its plugged into the wall and the laptop.
The clicking sound made me think it was just the charger that was the problem, but a friend of mine has the same laptop so i used their charger, same thing. I tried taking the battery out and plugging it in, nothing.
Does anyone know what would be causing this? If there is any fix? Do I really have to send my laptop back to HP only 2 weeks after it being repaired by them.
11-28-2008 10:44 PM
With a small switching power supply like that, the clicking sound is usually due to it being overloaded. More sophisticated switching supplies would just shut off and stay off but typical laptop supplies are built to lower price-points and sizes.
Since it won't work even with the battery out, yes it seems the laptop itself has an internal short somewhere and will have to go back for repair again. If it were doing that only after having (tried to) turned the laptop on, there is a chance it might've been a removable part like memory, CPU, drives, but since all thes are not powered until the laptop gets turned on, it seems to indicate the mainboard itself. I'm not familiar with the wiring of the PCI-E slots, you might try taking out any card in those slot(s) (like a wifi card) and trying the laptop one last time just in case it's the card that has gone bad, but I doubt it because if a card that small were using so much current that it's keeping the AC-DC adapter from working, smoke would be coming off the card due to how hot it got.
You should send the AC-DC supply with it so they can confirm it works with the laptop, and if you ever hear it making that noise again, unplug it immediately because it's hard on a PSU to be overloaded like that.