HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
12-01-2008 10:43 PM
I have a compaq C501 TU with XP professional operating system about 2 yrs old
1) Recently I found that my Device Manager shows a yellow question mark for the SMBus controller. I tried to search in the intel site and also used the driver detection tool from the site which was not able to detect, nor i could find the Intel chip processor processor I/o inside the Sysytem Devices option.
2) Where can i find the Hp help and support software for my window Xp professional
3) Please help me find the internal microphone as per described in the site, or is this feature not available in my system.
12-02-2008 07:18 PM
1) Installing the latest Intel chipset driver should provide the SMBus driver. It appears your laptop has an Intel 940 series chipset so that driver is on Intel's site (don't worry over which chipset link, they are all the same driver!)
or here is a direct link to it,
2) If it was originally installed on your system, doing a system restore should bring it back, or look in your C:\swsetup folder (right click that folder and search for text string "help" should find the subfolder that the Help & Support installation files are in. Otherwise try the download linked off the following page, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam
or use HP's site search feature to search for Help and Support XP which should link it... getting the newest version available.
3) By find the internal microphone you mean where it is on the system case? Often the mic is located behind a little hole at the top of the screen, but it appears your model does not have one, only a mic jack 2nd from the front on the right side of the casing. If instead you meant find it in windows, check windows sound mixer to mute and unmute it and see the following page for basic mic troubleshooting.
Some people (with different systems) couldn't find their mic because they had the wrong driver, so try different drivers if all else fails.