104 - Unsupported Wireless network device (324 Views)
Honor Student
ivo_ivanov
Message 1 of 3 (324 Views)

104 - Unsupported Wireless network device

Hello.

I have notebook HP Compaq Presario CQ61-115EQ. I try to upgrade my notebook with new wireless network adapter. I purchase Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and replace my Atheros wireless adapter. But when I turn on the notebook it doesen't boot the OS. There is a message on black screen - "104 - Unsupported Wireless network device detected. System Halted. Remove device and restart".

Can someone tell me where is the problem, because the notebook is with Intel chipset and it should working with this wireless adapter. 

I put the wireless adapter on Dell notebook and there is no problem with it. I was thinking that the problem is in the BIOS, because it was old version from 2009. I update the BIOS and now is with the latest version F.23, but the problem continue.

So can someone tell me how can I solve the problem?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (287 Views)

Re: 104 - Unsupported Wireless network device

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01740724.pdf

The reason you are getting that error is because with an HP notebook, you can only install one of the wireless cards listed in the service manual (see Chapter 3, starting on page 3-5. 

Not only must it be one of those models, it must also have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

HP locks out any wireless cards that were not tested and validated to work with the antenna system in the notebook.

The only way a person can get an unsupported card to work is to modify the BIOS to include the hardware ID of the card being installed, and I don't know how to do that.

Paul

Honor Student
ivo_ivanov
Message 3 of 3 (263 Views)

Re: 104 - Unsupported Wireless network device

OK, thanks a lot for the information. I'll try to sell the wireless adapter to someone :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation