Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello-

I've been having an chronic problem with my Pavlion g6 (AMD A6-4400M, 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3). The fan is constantly running at high speed, the computer itself gets very hot and at times the fan is really loud just with one program open. I downloaded a program called Speccy to check what components are in my computer before I posted here. Speccy also shows the temperature of the processor, motherboard, graphics card and hard disk.

So, I sent a screen shot of my Speccy to a friend who better at computers than I am and he freaked out when he saw my results. He noticed the processor was running at 122°C and told me that's not good and that my computer should have shut off or burned up by that point. He suggested I clean out the ventilator fan, but its so difficult to get to without having a bit of know how. So I vacuumed out the various vents and I noticed a dramatic change in the fan speed, running much slower. But the temperature of the processor still goes from in between 90° and 120° C depending on how many program or even browser tabs open. 

So I'm not sure what the next step should be. I saw this link and it made me wonder whether the fan is coated with dust and hair. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

I read on the AMD site that their processors maximum temperature is 100°, I don't want to fry my computer like an egg. 

I've included two of my Speccy reports, one before vacuuming and the other after (the higher temps are pre vacuum). I've watched a video on youtube how to get to a Pavilion G6 fan, quite a bit to take apart before you get to the fan. Is there any suggestion or tips someone could give me regarding this situation? 

best regards

RJB

p.s. it's currently at 103° C

speccy.jpg

speccy after vacuume.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi 1stTimeLaptoper, welcome to the HP Forums. First of all, let me say that this was an excellent post! You are right to be concerned with the temperatures. The lifespan of a processor is directly related to how hot it gets and how often it gets hot. The troubleshooting you provided was right on the money for the first step. Did you also follow the link at the bottom for: Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

It is a journey to get to the Fan in a notebook. I assume you are not within the warranty period, otherwise you would have called for warranty repair right?
I have included the:  HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.  In this, page 69 leads to the instructions to get to the Fan & Heat Sink.

If you do go so far as to reapplying thermal paste, I recommend reviewing this older YouTube video, for the application process:  Installing Thermal Compound (NCIX Tech Tips #11)

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi 1stTimeLaptoper, welcome to the HP Forums. First of all, let me say that this was an excellent post! You are right to be concerned with the temperatures. The lifespan of a processor is directly related to how hot it gets and how often it gets hot. The troubleshooting you provided was right on the money for the first step. Did you also follow the link at the bottom for: Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

It is a journey to get to the Fan in a notebook. I assume you are not within the warranty period, otherwise you would have called for warranty repair right?
I have included the:  HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide.  In this, page 69 leads to the instructions to get to the Fan & Heat Sink.

If you do go so far as to reapplying thermal paste, I recommend reviewing this older YouTube video, for the application process:  Installing Thermal Compound (NCIX Tech Tips #11)

I hope this helps.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.