2 USB ports not working. (59807 Views)
Tutor
ninjasrawk
Message 1 of 21 (59,807 Views)

2 USB ports not working.

I have 4 USB ports total on my laptop. 2 on the right and 2 on the left. The 2 on the left work fine, and the 2 on the right used to work fine and now they don't work at all.

No matter what device I plug into the 2 USB ports on the right, I get:

"USB Device Not Recognized"

I can put the Installation Disc in and run it from that as well and it still can't recognize the USB Device. (Even when using things that are ALREADY installed on my computer and they work just fine when plugged into the left USB ports.

In my device manager, under my USB folder, there are no yellow flags or issues. No matter what the device, when I plug it in, I get a new folder made in my Device Manager called "Other Devices" and that has a yellow flag and under that there is a yellow flag and an exclamation mark next to "USB Device".

How can I fix the USB ports on the right side? What's the problem?

Angie

Tutor
ninjasrawk
Message 2 of 21 (59,793 Views)

USB PORTS WORKING NOW...However, device Not Recognized still ovvurs for 1 device...

Update: I did get the 2 non working USB ports 2 finally start working. I unplugged my computer from the outlet and took out the battery and put it back in after 30 mins and booted it up and they worked.

However... I still cannot get my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo to install. I know it isn't the device itself because I plugged it into another computer and it installed right away and worked fine.

Everytime i plug it in, nothing happens. I open up Device Manager and see it is under "unknown device" - "usb receiver" with a yellow flag and an exclamation mark next to it. i click properties, it says:

The driver for this device is not installed. (code 28)

To reinstall the driver for this device, click reinstall driver.

So I do, and it pulls up the hardware wizard and it always comes back saying it cannot locate the necessary software.

It does this with the software disc in my computer or with it not in. It should install without the disc, but even with the dis and even with me downloading updated software it keeps always saying it cannot locate the software.

Help???  What do i need to do to fix this?

Angie

Student
iwearvelcroshoe
Message 3 of 21 (59,755 Views)

Re: USB PORTS WORKING NOW...However, device Not Recognized still ovvurs for 1 device...

!!! I am having the same problem! But my webcam doesn't work either. Please help us!

Top Student
e_dward19
Message 4 of 21 (59,737 Views)

Re: USB PORTS WORKING NOW...However, device Not Recognized still ovvurs for 1 device...

try to uninstall the keyboard/mouse from device manager and then shut it down.. make sure that no external devices are connected,  when your computer is off you have to take the battery out(make sure ac adapter is also unplugged) then press and hold power button for about a minute while battery is out and ac is unplugged.. now put the battery back and turn it on then log in.. insert keyboard/mouse after windows finishes loading..

you can try using system restore..if you had it working before

Top Student
rugo32
Message 5 of 21 (59,716 Views)

Re: 2 USB ports not working.

MY 2 USB PORTS FOR MY dv7-1025nr are dead AS WELL

...Thank GOD this laptop was paid for by my work...I would hate to have to kill again :smileyhappy: Great idea for the HP brass, cut out needless costs (technical support) altogether...WHY PISS GOOD MONEY AWAY ON HORRIBLE OUTSOURCED SUPPORT!!

Jason Rousseau

MN-

1) HP Pavilion dv7-1025nr
Student
seigneur
Message 6 of 21 (59,586 Views)

What I have found on my dv7-1025nr is that I have to use a special 2 USB port to 1 device cable that I got with an external HD to run any device other than a flashdrive or mouse with this laptop.  I do not know what they did incorrectly with the power distribution, but there is inadequate power going to all 4 of my ports and I must merge ports with this 2-to-1 cable to get any external device to work.  I'm guessing that is why it will not work on your laptop but will work on ANY other computer.

Intern
Stevefxp
Message 7 of 21 (59,571 Views)

Ok this might also explain why I am having issues between an external USB burner and my SD slot. I actually am using all 4 USB ports myself. I have the burner, a mobile phone, a BT dongle, and an external SATA drive connected to all 4 ports. I have a 4 port USB hub that can be powered from an external power source. Would it be advisable to consolidate onto this?

Steve

Honor Student
DebHgn
Message 8 of 21 (57,308 Views)

All USB ports now dead as a door knob.

I have a:
Compaq Persario A900 Laptop
Vista Home Premium
Dual Intel CPU T2330 1.60GHz

Disk Drives:
Generic-Multi-Card USB Device
Hitachi HST542512K9SA00

USB Controllers:
Apple Mobile Device USB Driver (this is now missing)
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2836
USB Mass Stroage Device (YES, it is misspelled)
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

It appears 2830, 2831 and 2832 are not working.

My laptop has two USB ports on the right side, they stopped working last year and was never able to get them to work again.

On the left side I have one USB port and a multi-card reader. Now the last USB port has suddenly stopped working.

The Enhanced USB2 Controller (2836) in Device Manager controls the multicard reader and the built-in webcam. This works fine.

The other USB port on the left side of the computer (just above the multicard reader) does have power. When I plug in my external HD the lights come on, but it will not recognize it as a drive being there.

I've gone into device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled. I've disabled and enabled. There is nothing in this computer's BIOS to enable any USB device. I have updated drivers, I have scanned for hardware changes. I've also unplugged and removed the battery and let it set overnight and still nothing.  I've restored as far back as I can.

I've also added Add the ForceHCResetOnResume registry value for the USB host controller as described below.

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list.
2. Locate and then click registry subkeys that resemble the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\Four-digit_number
Notes
* In this step, Four-digit_number is a placeholder for the USB devices in the system.
* In this step, you must locate the registry subkey by using the value that you noted in Step 1.j. For example, if the driver key from Step 1.j is {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0002, then you must look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\0002
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type ForceHCResetOnResume for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click ForceHCResetOnResume, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

I've also added - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

Disable the Selective Suspend feature, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
2. Type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor opens.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
4. If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present, double-click it. If it is not present, create the entry. To create the entry, follow these steps:
1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
2. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
5. In the Value data field, type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature, and then click OK.

Still only powers up my external HD but does not recognize it as a drive. Nor does it recognize any other USB device.

The Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is no longer listed.  I used the same lonely USB port for my iphone and hooked my portable HD in that port when needed.  This port on the left side will still cause the lights on my portable HD to light up, so it must have power, right?

In looking into this I find I do not have "Portable Devices" in Device Manager either. ( do have it set where I can see hidden devices)

When checking system information (ctl-esc>advanced) Software Environment>System Drivers> usbaapl.sys it tells me the location of the file (windows>system32>drivers>
file type - Kernal Driver
Started - No
Start Mode - Manual
State-Stopped
Status-OK

Also in Control Panel there is no Portable Device icon.

However when I check Services (services.msc) it tells me:
Apple Mobile Device
Status - Started
Start Type - Automatic
Log on as - Local System

As you can tell, I've done all I know to do at this point.

I need serious help and it appears a lot of people have a lot of problems with USB ports just up and dying for no apparent reason.

Deb

Honor Student
DebHgn
Message 9 of 21 (57,208 Views)

Re: All USB ports now dead as a door knob.

Nobody of any help?

Intern
bugger1
Message 10 of 21 (48,047 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation