Question

Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 1 of 11 (17,802 Views)
Accepted Solution

2 Year old Laptop will not boot

Hi,

My HP laptop dv9030ea will not boot.  when I attempt to switch it on it seems to act normally (Quick Launch Buttons illuminate, fan starts up, and DVD drive spins up) for around 10 seconds.  Before anything is displayed on screen all activity stops the QLBs flash once and the Boot process stops and power apparently switches off.  I have had similar problem a year ago and the motherboard was replaced under warrenty.  Now my warrenty is over, I suspect it needs major work again and I am left feeling very aggrieved.  Can anyone offer advice on further trouble shooting (I'm an engineer so failry technically skilled) I am prepared to get my hanbds dirty if needs be, but would prefer HP to be a little more helpfull.

Regards,

Phil

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 11 (17,779 Views)

Re: 2 Year old Laptop will not boot

Try reseating the memory cards,with power cord and battery removed.Press the clips outward that hold each end and the card will popup to be grasped and removed.Reseat each one,inserting at an angle into slot, then press down to lock into clips.

Next insert just the power cord and try to boot.If that works you can reinsert battery and try booting with both.If all is well at this point check to see if you have the latest BIOS posted for your model  HERE

Good luck!

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 3 of 11 (17,774 Views)

Thanks for the input Cheryl, however I had just come across this advice in the HP "support" site.  I tried that and unfortunately had no joy.

To add further insult to injury I read about the one time enhanced warrenty repair, found out that my model came under this (and is showing symptoms) however a support assistant has now told me that the extended warrenty expired a month ago!  How fustrating!!!

Is there anyone out there who can offer

1. Advice about the extended warrenty.  What caused HP to issue this?  Could a previous motherboard problem from around 18 months ago further extend this warrenty?  Are there grounds for some sort of small claims legal challenge?  (maybe that last one is going a bit deep)

2. If not, some sort of way ahead for me to attempt my own repair.  As previously stated I'm fairly handy with a screw driver.

Again thanks,

Phil 

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 11 (17,823 Views)

Warranty Service Enhancement was good for 24 months:

http://tinyurl.com/2jxruy

You could probably find a new motherboard, Ebay,etc for dv9000 AMD series.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 5 of 11 (17,768 Views)

Thank you very much.  The laptop is 2 years old next month, but I have been told the extended warrenty expired last month.  A further avenue to investigate.

Ta.

Phil

Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 6 of 11 (17,765 Views)

I should have added "HP's 'support' Center told me the extended warrenty had expired" to the above post.  I'm currently awaiting a reply.
Master's Graduate
y2ken
Message 7 of 11 (17,753 Views)

Can you enter the BIOS setup? Typically this is done by tapping the 'Delete' key during bootup. But each BIOS is different so it may be a different key combo for your machine. The key to press is usually displayed on screen during bootup. It will say something like "Hit 'Delete' to enter Setup". Check which version of BIOS you have. You can try updating your BIOS if there is a newer version available, check the HP downloads sections for your model. There are also several diagnostic programs that boot from a CD disk that you can run to check your systems hardware. TuffTest Lite is a free one that will check all your basic hardware. Then there is MemTest, also free, which will check your memory modules. Neither of these programs require you to boot into Windows,they will run completely off the CD. You will have to download the .ISO file and burn the file to a CD to make it bootable. You may also have to change your boot sequence in BIOS so that your PC will boot from your CD drive before the hard disk. You can also purchase a P.O.S.T. diagnostic card. You plug this into your system during boot and it will monitor the boot progress and give you an error code that you can look up if the boot fails. You can also try using a Ubuntu Linux 'Live' disk (free). Linux Live is a self contained operating system that will run right off the disk. If you can run the Linux OS off the disk then it's a Windows operating system issue and not a hardware issue. 

Good luck!

Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 8 of 11 (17,727 Views)

Thanks for your advice however as stated in my initial post "Before anything is displayed on screen all activity stops the QLBs flash once and the Boot process stops and power apparently switches off" this all happens before I get chance to get into the BIOS. 

I am confident that this is a hardware issue, in fact I am confident that HP together with Nvidia have provided me with a laptop with a motherboard that is not fit for purpose, (not even 2 years of use for £1000 machine is not acceptable) as they have done with so many other people.

Regards

Master's Graduate
y2ken
Message 9 of 11 (17,707 Views)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. More precisely you have a failure to POST. In this case, a P.O.S.T. diagnostic card would still be useful. It will monitor your POST (Power On Self Test) and let you know where in the startup process it is failing. This may help you determine the failed hardware device.

You should also try resetting your BIOS. I think this has the highest probability of helping. Remove your laptop battery and access your motherboard (check the HP website for the 'Service Manual' for your model) and either remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes then replace it, and/or set the "Reset CMOS jumpers" on your motherboard to reset your BIOS.

You can also try this. It's not likely to work but it's easy to try.

Remove all power (adapter power Cord and Battery (for laptops)

Hold down the ON button for 30secs (dispersing internal voltage)

Plug the power cord in only (ie leave battery out, for the moment)

Turn on

Did it work?

As you already stated you likely have a major component failure; CPU, motherboard, etc.

Hope you found my suggestions helpful. Good luck!

Teacher
Sticky1981
Message 10 of 11 (17,413 Views)

After an unbelievable ammount of hassle I have got HP to agree to fix the laptop under the terms of their service enhancement.  For some odd reason they were adamant that the laptop was purchased 2 months early and hence out of the 24 months extension.  After letters to Steve Gill, Mark Hurd and Pauletta Hughlock I managed to make them see sense.  For information if you email firstname.lastname@hp.com you apparently bypass the 10%ers at total care and get to someone who can actually help.  Also try Katrina Tumilty 0870 8406078, or email the CRT at ukcust.serv@hp.com.  This last address was how I finaly got my case heard by the right person!

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation