Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all, 

I have recently got a brand new HP ZR2440w monitor which i would like to joing to my existing set up. 

Here is my current set up:

HP ProBook 6470b on 230W Advanced Docking Station + a HP L1950 Monitor. 

My Desktop is extended from the laptop to the HP L1950 Monitor, thus giving me dual displays. 

I would like to extend my desktop to the new HP ZR2440w monitor thus giving me 3 displays (Laptop display + HP L1950 Monitor + HP ZR2440w monitor)

My issue is for example: when I extend from laptop to ZR2440w while already extended to L1950 the ZR2440w does not connect. 

Note: I have the ZR2440w connected to the docking station via Display Port and the L1950 conneced via DVI. 

I have also tried both monitors on DVI. 

I have tried the intel graphics software installed on my laptop but when the laptop lid is open it will only connect to one of the external monitors. 

From what I have read I can only support 2 displays at the same time but I feel it rather over kill to have so many display ports on the docking station and only be able to use one while the laptop lid is open.

Any help is greatly appericated. 

Thanks,

Steve. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes this has been a limitation for quite some time. The video controller in the laptop is the passthrough to the dock and it is capable of only "dual head" configuration so you get the laptop screen and one and only one more display.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Yes this has been a limitation for quite some time. The video controller in the laptop is the passthrough to the dock and it is capable of only "dual head" configuration so you get the laptop screen and one and only one more display.

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thank you for your reply, Its a shame that the limitation still exists.

Hopefully my next HP Laptop + Docking station will blow out this limitation.

Regards,

Steve.

HP Recommended

I think it is absurd that HP designs a docking station and promotes all the different connections (DVI, Display port, and VGA) , yet only one works at one time.  Seems like false advertising to me.  Part of the reason I bought a docking station was so I could have two external displays.   I did not see that anywhere in the specs that only one external  display can be active.  I guess I'll have to return the extra HDMI-Display Port cable I purchased and hope I get my money back. 

HP Recommended

You can configure the laptop to do not suspend when closing the lid

With the lid closed, you can have dual external displays

HP Recommended

The 6470b can have a dual monitor setup and the laptop screen if you have a docking station.

The key is to use the Display port on the dock and the display port on the side of the laptop. 

At that point you will need to go into settings and enable the 3rd screen, but it can be done, as I use it like this everyday.

Thanks

HP Recommended

On my Probook 6470b the VGA port on the laptop's backside is blocked when pluged into the HP Docking Station (90W). The only port left is the DP connection on the laptops right hand side, is this the port you are refering to?

HP Recommended

Yes the display port on the right side of the laptop is used AND the display port in the back of the dock is used.

THOSE ARE THE ONLY CABLES YOU CAN USE FOR IT TO WORK

HP Recommended

Hi - Can you please explain exactly how you have this setup?   I am trying to use my probook 6470b as the primary display in the middle plugged directly into the docking station, while using a Dell 1707FP connected to the left using a VGA cable and a Dell P2213 connected via Display Port cable on the right.  

The display port cable goes from the dock station to the P2213 and the VGA cable goes from the dock station to the Dell 1707FP.    What am I doing wrong????  Any help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Were you able to get the 2 monitors to work when lid is open?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.