Question

Honor Student
Tizer
Message 1 of 7 (2,198 Views)

8510W won't boot. HDD LED blinking orange-green

My 4 year old HP Compaq 8510W was working fine until a few days ago. It ran a bit hot so I decided to reboot to let it cool down. After shutting it down, it didn't want to boot again. Instead the fan starts turning fast (and loud), the power light comes on like normal and the HDD light starts repeating the following blinking sequence; orange fast, green normal, pauze and repeat. It doesn't respond to any button or key, I need to hold the power button to shut it off.

I was suspecting the HDD, as I don't hear it turning, only skipping once every 30 seconds or so. I pulled the HDD out and plugged it into my PC and the drive worked fine. I took this opportunity to backup all my files onto my PC. 

If it is not the HDD I don't know what it is. Has anyone had this problem too? And (how) did you solve it?

My 8510W is running on Vista 32-bit.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (2,191 Views)

Re: 8510W won't boot. HDD LED blinking orange-green

Hi:

You can always try doing a hard reset of the notebook.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

Other than that suggestion, I would have no idea what you can do to fix it other than to buy a new notebook.

Paul

Honor Student
Tizer
Message 3 of 7 (2,189 Views)

I have tried a hard reset yesterday but it did not help. I can get parts for the 8510w, but I need to know which one is faulty.

Would formatting the HDD have any effect? I wanted to upgrade to Win7 anyway
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (2,190 Views)

Hi:

Formatting the HDD won't help. The notebook should power on and you should be able to enter the BIOS with no hard drive installed.

I am not a PC tech so I don't know what the blinking light code means.

It isn't good whatever it is.

If the PC has 2 memory modules, remove one and see if it powers on. If not, remove the other one and replace it with the first one you removed and see if it powers on.

If it works, then you found the problem. If not, then you know it isn't the hard drive or memory.

Paul

Honor Student
Tizer
Message 5 of 7 (2,185 Views)

Ah yes, I forgot to try the memory.. Tried both of them individually and tried with them switched around, but it didn't help.

CPU or MoBo probably then?
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 7 (2,183 Views)

Yes. Most likely the video chip on the motherboard went bad, or the CPU fried, or some other circuit on the motherboard went south.

There is no troubleshooting guide for your notebook--only a service manual which is only going to tell you how to remove and replace parts.

Maybe it is time to upgrade? I like buying HP business notebooks on eBay.

If you like the mobile workstations, go for the 8530w. Some of them have webcams.  I have the 6930p and am very happy with it.

Or, if you really like yours, get another 8510w. You may be better off in the long run than tearing into yours and not being able to fix the problem after throwing money and parts at it, or paying someone to fix it.

Student
DavidDuwaer
Message 7 of 7 (1,047 Views)

I have exactly the same problem now. It's 5 years old, from august 2008. I've tried replacing the motherboard. Didn't help.

Tizer, did you ever find the solution to this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation