AC adapter compatibility question (4152 Views)
Honor Student
wordgirl
Message 1 of 8 (4,152 Views)

AC adapter compatibility question

[ Edited ]

I have a new DV5t laptop under the tree. I understand it comes with this adapter: KG298AA#ABA (HP 90W Smart-pin AC Adapter) and that the adapter is prone to break.

I have been offered a couple of HP adapters that are 90w, with the following HP part number: 393955-001. They are NOT Smart-Pin adapters but the other information appears to the same.

Here's my question: Will the non-Smart Pin adapters power a device with a SmartPin input? I am highly reluctant to spend $50 apiece on adapters your own Web site tells me will break.

edit: I found the other part number for the non-Smart Pin adapter: EH642A#ABA

Message Edited by wordgirl on 12-11-2008 02:26 PM
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 8 (4,162 Views)

Re: AC adapter compatibility question

I don't think it will work because the barrel/pin is different....and it's probably not worth the risk of damaging your notebook.
Honor Student
wordgirl
Message 3 of 8 (4,146 Views)

I agree it's not worth the risk - I don't want to damage my new computer. But I thought it was worth asking, due to the reported problems with the original-equipment adapters.
Tutor
ripple4
Message 4 of 8 (4,138 Views)

I would like to know if a dell wall adaptor would work, it has the same exact plug on the computer side. but its 19.5 volts instead of 18.5 volts. but I figure the wall utility voltage varies from 115 to 130 vac rms so what will one volt hurt on the pc end

just wondering, i would never try until I was sure, my work laptop is a dell so there is always a PSU plugged in at my home desk.

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 5 of 8 (4,135 Views)

I wouldn't risk it....

ripple4 wrote:

I would like to know if a dell wall adaptor would work, it has the same exact plug on the computer side. but its 19.5 volts instead of 18.5 volts. but I figure the wall utility voltage varies from 115 to 130 vac rms so what will one volt hurt on the pc end

just wondering, i would never try until I was sure, my work laptop is a dell so there is always a PSU plugged in at my home desk.

...is the wattage the same?
Tutor
ripple4
Message 6 of 8 (4,128 Views)

no the dell is 90 watt, the HP/Compaq is 65 watt.

not sure why that would matter since its voltage regulated. its just "X" volts then whatever amps is needed to keep the voltage, up until you run out of watts, right? lol

While I have never, and will never, use an unapproved PSU for the computer, it is just a curious observation that the plug is so similar.
Honor Student
corne
Message 7 of 8 (3,842 Views)

I've actually got a similar type of query:

the AC adapter for a nx7400 recently popped and i asked the suppliers to send me a compatible replacement. i received a 90W, 19V - 4.74A from them, but the specifications on (underneath) the laptop reads 18.5V - 3.5A. I know the stronger current won't make difference since the notebook will draw only what it needs, but will the difference in voltage (though very minor) make an impact?

I know 0.5V really isn't much, but you know how sensitive computer electronics are, especially laptops....

Intern
JRivero
Message 8 of 8 (3,828 Views)

The original part # that you need to replace your AC Adapter is: 463958-001

Any way you can use a 391172-001 as replacement.

I found one at impactcomputers.com and the cost is 50$

Best regards

PS. DO NOT use a Dell AC adapter, the barrel/pin looks the same but there is some differences 

Pavilion DV6500, Vista Home Premium 32bit Intel T7300 2.0 GHz, nVidia GForce 8400M GS, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Blu-Ray disc succesfully installed and running -- Please Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation