Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Due to a specific piece of software I'm trying to setup Windows XP on an EliteBook 2560p with AHCI drivers for the SATA controller.  Where can I get these drivers, and what's the best way to install them?  I'm guessing since the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive I'll need to slipstream them into my XP CD?  What is the specific chipset of the driver? - from what I've seen on Intel's page there's a bunch of different options; ICH10d, ICH10R, ICH7M, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Tsk, tsk.  You should have gotten the name of the SATA ACHI controller first.  :generic:

That is the reason one should always have a USB FDD in their tool kit.

OK. I'm going to take an educated guess, and say you have the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

Now that you already have XP installed, first install the chipset driver and reboot.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Then download the second file listed, and extract these drivers to a folder you put somewhere on your C:\ drive so you can browse to it later.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20216&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP...=

Follow this procedure to install the ACHI driver in XP:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

2. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

3. You will find the Intel SATA ACHI storage controller listed.

4. Right-click on the Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C01
listed, and click Update Driver .

5. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

6. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

7. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

8.. Click Have Disk

9.. Click Browse

10. Select location: c:\folder you saved the Intel ACHI drivers to.

11. Select iaAHCI.inf

12. Click Open

13. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller. Click Next.

14. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

15. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

16. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

17. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA setting back to ACHI, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed and the desktop will boot into Windows with SATA Device Mode set to AHCI.

Paul

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi:

Just go into the BIOS under device configurations and change your SATA device mode from ACHI to IDE. save the setting there by hitting the F10 key and then again when you exit.

XP will now install without any fancy footwork.

Before you wipe out W7, go to the device manager and click on your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers line. Post the name of your SATA ACHI controller and I will send you the link to the drivers.

Then you can load it after you install XP and change the BIOS SATA setting back to ACHI.

You can also use XP mode on virtual PC and keep Windows 7 and use your XP only compatible program in XP mode.

Paul

HP Recommended

XP is already on the laptop in question, in IDE mode.  Changing to AHCI causes a blue screen on startup, and XP doesn't allow an F6 driver on install from anywhere other than a floppy, which most machines don't have these days.  Under device manager the IDE ATA/ATAPI drivers show 2 SATA controllers - 6 series/C200 2 port - 1C09 and 6 series/C200 4 port - 1C01.  I think I've got the right drivers since I know it's a Mobile Intel QM67 Express Chipset, but when I go to manually update the drivers there's like 7 choices:  ESB2 SATA, ICH10D/DO SATA, ICH10R SATA, etc, etc.

Unless, of course, that Intel QM67 chipset and the SATA controller are 2 different things and I'm completely off here.

HP Recommended

Tsk, tsk.  You should have gotten the name of the SATA ACHI controller first.  :generic:

That is the reason one should always have a USB FDD in their tool kit.

OK. I'm going to take an educated guess, and say you have the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

Now that you already have XP installed, first install the chipset driver and reboot.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Then download the second file listed, and extract these drivers to a folder you put somewhere on your C:\ drive so you can browse to it later.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20216&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP...=

Follow this procedure to install the ACHI driver in XP:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

2. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

3. You will find the Intel SATA ACHI storage controller listed.

4. Right-click on the Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C01
listed, and click Update Driver .

5. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

6. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

7. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

8.. Click Have Disk

9.. Click Browse

10. Select location: c:\folder you saved the Intel ACHI drivers to.

11. Select iaAHCI.inf

12. Click Open

13. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller. Click Next.

14. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

15. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

16. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

17. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA setting back to ACHI, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA driver is successfully installed and the desktop will boot into Windows with SATA Device Mode set to AHCI.

Paul

HP Recommended

Sheesh, I've tried this so many times that I fully expected the BSOD on startup.  It worked!

HP Recommended

Glad it worked.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I have exactly the same problem as Zarberg.

I Install WinXP Professional 32-bit andI want to use AHCI instead of IDE, but got blue screen.

In order to fix it I need to find a driver for:

VEN_8086 & DEV_1C01

Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C01
Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C09

I've seen that somehow you found it on Intel's website, but the old link doesn't work 

and I don't know how to find it there.

Could you please explain what options do I need to chose in the form in the Intel's site?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi, atztech:

I have attached the SATA AHCI drivers you need for XPP.

You can follow the guide I posted above. You should select the Intel ® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C01, as the controller to update the driver from in Step 4 above.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

There is number of choices in the list after selecting iaAHCI.inf

from your files, but there is no ''Intel ® 6 Series ... ", which I have on my notebook.

I see the following in the list:

AHCI Controllers:
    - Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) EP80579 SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller
    - Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

- Is it ok to use another one?

- How safe is it and which one to use?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to select the driver in step 13...

Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

I have edited out the vague info from the above guide.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.