Question

Honor Student
yucina
Message 1 of 5 (135 Views)

AHCI is NOT enabled + can't recreate RAID after SSD installation - Envy 4 1030,

Dear all,

I understand that AHCI is *supposed* to be enabled by default. But I recently put in a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD in (the Hitachi HDD went bust - they are really crap btw) and ran into all sorts of problems - not the least of which was trying to disable legacy support in BIOS while reinstalling Windows 8. I resolved that but in the meantime I have lost the RAID set-up for the secondary 30 GB SSD on board (for Intel RST). And the Samsung Magician software tells me that AHCI is NOT enabled. I went through the registry changing the AHCI related values and restarted but no dice. AHCI is still disabled. No RAID.  I've just about had it with this stupidly ultra-restrictive BIOS. Can't even see my drives for god's sakes. What am I supposed to do now HP? 

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (125 Views)

Re: AHCI is NOT enabled + can't recreate RAID after SSD installation - Envy 4 1030,

Have you tried the RAID configuration utility? Turn off secure boot and enable legacy boot in the BIOS and you should get a DOS-like RAID configuration utility. You hit [ctrl + i] to enter. If the storage controller is not set to ahci it is set to sata raid, never ide. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 5 (121 Views)

Re: AHCI is NOT enabled + can't recreate RAID after SSD installation - Envy 4 1030,

Hi:

It depends on what model you have as to how the drive controllers are defaulted in the BIOS.

The default setting for your model is RAID.  Has something to do with configuring hybrid drives with the ssd cache.

Unfortunately, you can't change those settings in most consumer notebook BIOS'.

Doing any of those registry entries is fruitless, and I would change them back to their defaults.

Here is an article that may help you on how to configure your drive setup.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/676213-definitive-guide-clean-install-os-mssd-...

There is full support for SSD's in RAID mode if your notebook has an Intel Series 7 or newer chipset.

Yes, the magician reports achi is not enabled, but the ssd can still use trim etc.

You just have to install the latest Intel RST driver for your model.

Here is a thread that discusses this with some benchmarking...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/How-to-enable-AHCI-for-HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-m6-k015dx/m...

Honor Student
yucina
Message 4 of 5 (95 Views)

No matter what I tried, I can't access the Intel RST RAID Utility any more.. I've enabled Legacy Support, disabled Secure Boot, reformatted the mSSD, created partition, deleted partition, etc. There's no way to access the RAID utility at all. Thank you HP engineers, in your zeal to prevent the "uninitiated" from "messing up" your (!) systems, you have denied your paying customers access to their own property. And you ain't no Apple to be so arrogant & smug, either..! This is so frustrating..

Honor Student
yucina
Message 5 of 5 (90 Views)

[ Edited ]

Both the mSSD and the principal SSD work fine - as individual drives. I just can't use them as effectively as I should. No RAID configuration possible, no AHCI activation possible.. Other than that, fine..! Yes I do have TRIM.

But my question is, why should I be denied options because of HP's [edited] BIOS?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation