Question

Student
kvaughn540
Message 1 of 3 (3,410 Views)

Accessing data on hard drive of broken computer

Computer 1: Non-working laptop:

HP Pavilion dv9308nr
(serial: CNF7144XOQ / product: RU974UA#ABA)
Windows Vista
1.6GHz AMD Turion 64 x2 dual core
RAM - 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Primary Hard disk - 120 GB

Computer 2: Working laptop:

HP Pavilion dv6-1245dx
(serial: CNF9315QL2 / product: NV068UA#ABA)
Windows 7
 Intel Duo Core AMD x64 2.10 GHz, 2100 Mhz
RAM - 4.00 GB ( max 8192 MB)
Primary hard disk - 320 GB

1st Problem:
I want to be able to access the data off of the hard drive that is located in computer 1. There is no way to get power to computer 1 (AC power adapter had to be re-sautered several times b/c of broken/loose pins, appears to be lost cause at this point) Nor do I want to risk trying and replacing or changing anything in computer 2's hardware. Can I remove the hard drive from computer 1, place it in an external HD enclosure, use the eSATA connection and access it from computer 2? Does it make a difference that one is Vista and one Win 7?

2nd Problem: Since I am not using Computer 1 anymore, can I take advantage of the extra RAM located in computer 1 and move it to computer 2? They are both DDR2, but I'm not sure if their bus speeds, chips, timings, and voltage req are the same..Since computer 2 is 64 it should support any amount of RAM I think. And if I add the RAM from computer 1 to computer 2, I didn't think it would make a difference as a far as one being Vista and one being Win 7.

Thanks for any help

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 3 (3,405 Views)

Re: Accessing data on hard drive of broken computer

1. Yes you can put the drive in an external USB enlcosure and connect to any other PC to access your data, some folders may give an access denied error, you will need to take ownership of those folders and files before you can access them to copy.

If you are going to use W7 to access the hard drive see this article to make it easy to take ownership of the files

http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

2. The memory will be slower from the Vista PC, I would not mix the modules in the W7 PC, it is better to order the correct modules

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 3 (3,388 Views)

Re: Accessing data on hard drive of broken computer

Pick up a USB HDD Enclosure Example to put it in. Plug into second PC and copy files off.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation