Adding memory to ProBook 4510s (5573 Views)
Honor Student
clarkcoleman
Message 1 of 7 (5,573 Views)

Adding memory to ProBook 4510s

I have 2GB of PC2-6400 memory and am trying to add 2GB in the empty slot. When I do, the machine will not boot. Early in the boot, I get a blank screen and the hard drive activity light goes off and nothing happens.

When the new memory is removed, all is well. Repeat several times, then send back the memory as being obviously bad.

Now, order new memory from Crucial and ... it all happens all over again. I checked in MSCONFIG to ensure that there is no memory limit issue.

My first suspicion that I am not installing the memory correctly is that all laptop memory that I am familiar with flips up at a 45 degree angle for insertion and removal. I cannot see how to flip up the empty memory slot, so I am inserting the new memory flat sideways and pushing it in until it seems to be seated.

Has anyone here added memory to the empty slot in a ProBook 4510s? If so, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 7 (5,568 Views)

Re: Adding memory to ProBook 4510s

Take the original ram that is in the unit and try it in the other slot. the slot could be bad

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
clarkcoleman
Message 3 of 7 (5,562 Views)

I do not see any way to tilt the memory up, so I do not want to try to remove the good RAM that came with the system. Very reluctant to force anything, to have some little clip snap because I am trying to tilt something and don't see how to tilt it. Help on that specific point would be great.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 7 (5,558 Views)

it is the same way you removed the additional ram after you installed it. If you can remove correctly installed ram you put in yourself you can remove factory ram as well. No difference in process

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
clarkcoleman
Message 5 of 7 (5,533 Views)

I added and removed without tilting memory up. This seems very unusual. There is less space for the good RAM, which is beneath the RAM I was adding, and I don't know if there is space to slide it out without tilting it.

Has anyone installed and removed memory on THIS PARTICULAR MACHINE so that I can confirm that it is the only laptop I have heard of that does not tilt the memory up, or so that they can tell me how to tilt the memory up?

Thanks in advance.

Intern
Message 6 of 7 (5,500 Views)

I havent had any problems.

Here video about memory modules:

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=3934828&MEID=DE8B3D80-42B0-4A60-93E4-CBFF7FB56D76

Pekka

Honor Student
clarkcoleman
Message 7 of 7 (5,492 Views)

I have seen the video It is not for the ProBook 4510s.

If you have added memory for the 4510s, can you PLEASE tell me if the memory tilts up like all other laptops? If so, HOW do you tilt the darn thing up? I just don't see how, and I have done this on other laptops.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation