Question

Student
cgaffk
Message 1 of 2 (4,375 Views)

At boot up i receive error 1720-smart hard drive detects imminent failure ( failing attribute: b8).

HP ProBook 6556b

Windows XP

I then run HDD Self-Test (F4 key) in bios and it displays Error: Unknown Failureerror: Unknown Failure. I then back out of the Bios and hit F1 key and the ProBook boots up to a login. What is causing this to come up everytime I power on the laptop.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 2 (4,369 Views)

Re: At boot up i receive error 1720-smart hard drive detects imminent failure ( failing attribute: b

B8 - End-to-End error Quote: This attribute is a part of HP's SMART IV technology and it means that after transferring through the cache RAM data buffer the parity data between the host and the hard drive did not match

This is the error. It is rather unusual but no SMART error is good and they all mean you need to back up and get a new hard drive. If you have not made recovery disks do so while you can using the HP Recovery tool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation