Question

Honor Student
MobileMojo
Message 1 of 3 (189 Views)

BIOS question

Hello.  I have a G7 1310us notebook running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'd like to access the BIOS to set the boot-order to show CDROM/DVDROM to be first, followed by bootable USB flash drive, followed by hard disk.  Can this be done and, if so, what is the procedure?

Intern
Austing35
Message 2 of 3 (180 Views)

Re: BIOS question

Yes, this can be done. You can set up boot device priority.

Turn it off, then power it on. Keep tapping "F2". Im not sure if its also Tab or "del" key to enter BIOS. There is also a quick note which key to enter BIOS. Be sure to read fast since it will go to the next page after 5 seconds I guess. Good luck. 

Honor Student
MobileMojo
Message 3 of 3 (165 Views)

Re: BIOS question

Originally, my laptop came with F42 version of BIOS.  Pressing F2 only got me to a screen where I was told "BIOS update unavailable."  Pressing the ESC key only got me to a boot screen where WINDOWS 7 was my only option - even though I had a bootable CD in the drive.  However, on the driver download page for my system, there was an F63 version available.  So, I downloaded and flashed the BIOS.

This time, pressing F2 got the same result.  But pressing the ESC key got me to a boot screen where both WINDOWS 7 and the bootable CD were given as options.  And on that screen, pressing F10 took me to a screen that allowed me to change the "boot order" as I wished.

BUT...

Even though the bootable CD came up at first (the latest Parted Magic CD), the load process reached a point where I was given a black screen - with no text on it (not even a blinking cursor).  I attempted the same thing with Live CDs for:

Zorin 6 Linux (32 and 64 bit versions)

Ubuntu 12.04 Linux (32 and 64 bit versions)

Knoppix Linux (latest version)

An earlier version of Parted Magic (5.8)

Ultimate Boot CD

In all attempts, same thing.  They seemed to start OK but ultimately took me to a black screen (or dark gray screen) with no text on it and not even a blinking cursor.  And, in two cases, I also tried an "alternate graphics" version with the same result.

This leads me to the conclusion that, perhaps, HP and Microsoft have set up the system to make it "difficult" for those who want to set up a dual-boot system.  And I'm wondering if doing a "clean install" of Windows 7 Home Premium (from OEM) would solve this problem - or if something in BIOS is preventing this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation