Question

Honor Student
Marians
Message 1 of 8 (34,865 Views)

BLANK SCREEN with 3 beep, 1 long, 2 short

Hi,

when I`ve turn on my laptop (PAvilion DV6383EU) the screen remained blank, all the led are on. After few seconds from the boot, my laptop gets out 3 beeps, 1 long and 2 short.

Please help me, I`m in Uk to study, I`ve bought my laptop in Italy and i don`t know how to repair here. Besides it is out of warranty.

Thanks

MAriano

Intern
ConqHoosteen
Message 2 of 8 (34,827 Views)

Re: BLANK SCREEN with 3 beep, 1 long, 2 short

I am not sure what it is, as HP would never give me the codes for such errors anytime I have asked, but I believe that might be a code for overheating.  I could be wrong.  Did your computer freeze before it did this?
Honor Student
Marians
Message 3 of 8 (34,814 Views)

It`s not the first time. I has happened in the past and they have replace my laptop, because was under warranty but I don`t know what was the problem. I suppose the video card.

Someone has told me these sond beeps are the code for a specific hardware problem.

About the overheating, I suppose no, because I used it two nights ago and then I`ve shutted down to go to bed. And the problem has appeared the morning after.

I`ve used it on the bed, I hope it would not have cusated the eventula overheating....

Intern
Renegade_Tech
Message 4 of 8 (34,809 Views)

Biod Beep Codes1 long 2 short is a video adapter failure, probably means your video card has gone out.

-Hope that helps

Honor Student
MartinW
Message 5 of 8 (34,788 Views)

Thanks to you narrowing it down to the video, I realized that my machine's only been hanging with beeeeep beep beep since I started using both internal and an external monitor. I'd apparently fixed the problem yesterday by re-seating the RAM, but it failed again today. At the time I had the external monitor unplugged, and after reading the last post I tried plugging the external monitor in again and the machine actually restarts!!! Could the beeping be any more cryptic?

I'm busy doing a fresh backup now just in case I lose yesterdays work, but fingers crossed.

(Machine dv6331eu. Wireless still not working.)

cheers - MartinW

Teacher
Tartersmell
Message 6 of 8 (34,774 Views)

If you have a intermittin hardware failure "beeping codes" It may be as simple as a video card connector inside coming loose or unplugging itself.  Ram Can also give errors since most video cards use the ram if onboard video.  I would recheck connections, if your out of warranty..  Narrow things down.  Connections come loose inside from the twisting of the base "Picking machine up with one hand at one corner palm rest"  Who hasnt done that? 
HP MINI1000 16GBSSD,ASUS EEEPC 701 4GBSSD, DELL1501-DELL1520-DELLB1300-DELL3800 CERTS A+ NET+ OS- 3.1-98, 2000, 2000AS, XP, XPAS, XP64, VISTA H,P,U,B VISTA 64BIT WIN7BETA NT4 MSCE
Honor Student
MartinW
Message 7 of 8 (34,710 Views)

Oh dear, false hope. I managed to complete a backup successfully, but that's the last thing the machine's done. It's totally back to beeeep beep beep whatever I do.

Honor Student
Marians
Message 8 of 8 (34,434 Views)

Hi,

I`ve found the cause of my problem. A chinese technician has told me that is a defect of my video card (Nvidia 7000 series) which is incompatible with AMD processors that work with a high temperature. And he said that is a well known problem. I`ve had the same problem 8 months ago. He said that if HP will replace again with the same video card, few months more and the problem will come again.

So, now, what I have to do? In your opinion it is possible to ask HP customer service to replace both video card and processor? And, Is it compatible to do that with my laptop case?

Otherwise I suppose I`ll buy another one, but it is a pity because mine is brand new.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation