Battery not charging, but saying it is (8866 Views)
Honor Student
Skuryliw
Message 1 of 6 (8,866 Views)

Battery not charging, but saying it is

Hello everyone, I bought my HP Pavilion dv6000 almost about a year ago, and just now I'm starting to notice some problems with the battery.  After a couple months it wouldn't fully charge to 100%, it would just sit at about 97-99%, which wasn't that bad because if it went any lower it would charge back up to that %.  However, my battery isn't charging at all now.  I plugged it back in at at about 80% when I realized it wasn't going up.  I still have the message saying that its charging.  The battery doesn't drain rappidly either, it just drops about 1% every two days or so.  Right now the message says "73% available (plugged in, charging).  Is there anything I can do to fix this myself?  Is it a problem with my PC?  Battery?  Or the AC adapter.  I'm thinking its not the AC adapter, because its still able to sit at the same percent for a few days.  Any help is would be amazing
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (8,836 Views)

Re: Battery not charging, but saying it is

Has the actual length of use capability diminished? You haven't mentioned any time frames. It does help to be able to compare. If you really want to see how the battery is doing, just run it  to empty and see how far to full capacity it charges. Li-Ion batteries are very different that Nicads. Nicads last longer and can be refreshed but a lithium Ion battery cannot. Not charging to capacity is usually an indication of a battery on its way out.  Normally you will get a few years out of a battery, but not always.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Skuryliw
Message 3 of 6 (8,827 Views)

Last week it was at about 80-85%, and it just drops a percent every few days.  if I unplug it from the AC adapter and run it just on the battery, the battery drains but it doesn't recharge back up.  Probably time to get a new battery, but I just want to make sure its that and not anything else.
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (8,818 Views)

That is understandable. Go to this HP webpage and follow the troubleshooting steps. The link is specific to your laptop type.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Teacher
Tech_Head
Message 5 of 6 (8,718 Views)

Try this.  Hopefully that helps.

Caveat: I will try to help... I don't know everything...but I try my hardest!!!

Please give kudos if I helped, and mark it as solved if I fixed you...or your problem...:smileyvery-happy:
Honor Student
dragon5126
Message 6 of 6 (8,682 Views)

First off, as recommended you do need to calibrate your battery so that you get an accurate figure on the life of the battery as well as the capacity that it has at any given time. With that said, once calibrated,  the type of behavior you describe is indicative of a dying battery. At one time batteries in laptops did indeed last several years with no problems. However as the demand for lighter laptops has grown the single heaviest  part of the system, the battery, has taken the biggest hit.  Smaller batteries are lighter, BUT also have lower capacity in the long term. while technology has given us batteries that do last longer between charges, the higher drain placed on them by the larger and more powerful processors we have have also placed a greater strain on their lifespan. The trade off has given us light batteries that supply a lot of current but have short life spans. Ideally we should be using several batteries, swapping off regularly, or better yet running dual batteries, like the old Dell Latitudes did...  batteries are a major compromise.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation