Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi @binumar7

Thank you for your query.

I understand that you inherited two HP Mini 5101 and they have a power on password which you do not know.

Here is a link I believe will help.  It isn't listing your exact model but the steps would be the same. 

Evo N180 - Clearing a Setup or Power-On Password

Here is a link to the maintenance and service guide for your notebook.  HP Mini 5101

Please see chapter 4 for removal and replacement procedures.

If you should still have an issue please contact HP support for further assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Yes!!  This was it...  The pin in the adapter was bent to the side.  Basically, it's a rubbish component that bends easily.  Once I straightened it out with a tiny screwdriver inserted in the male connector it worked like a charm.   How frustrating for a brand new laptop to go through all this.  I rebooted, reset and followed everybody's advice until I found this.

Great job.

HP - fix your rubbish adapters and try to get the message out to other people on the forums!

HP Recommended

Heres the problem:

1) The adapter on the plug doesnt sit properly inside the computer. I had to put pressure on the plug for charging to work properly HOWEVER;

2 ) Because you have to push hard to get this thing to sit properly it is way TOO EASY to bend the tiny delicate little center pin inside the power cable adapter tip!!!!

If the stupid adapter tip sat correctly and easily on the computer like most other laptop brands adaptors I would never have mistakingly forced the adapter tip into to the laptop and I would never have bent the stupid tiny pin inside the tip.

What a stupid engineering oversight. We should demand a different charger kit from HP!

This is unnacceptable!

HP Recommended

Hi @ANGRY_CUSTOMER1 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

@sparkles1

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hey people, I have solved it.
Shut down you pc, remove your battery then connect your power cable and turn on your pc.
Open up My computer>properties>device manager.
Click Battery, uninstall both the microsoft softwares.
Shut down your Pc. attach your battery then your charger.
turn it on.
it must work now.
Dont worry, the uninstalled softwares will get installed automatically.
Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have found the solution!

Take a look at where the power plugs into the laptop.  If the power plug shows any of the silver (chrome) adapter, this is likely your problem.

**DANGER**

UNPLUG THE POWER FROM THE WALL POWER OUTLET BEFORE PROCEEDING!

Unplug the adapter from the laptop and look into the hole in the center of the plug-in portion. You will probably need a flashlight.

You will probably see that the center pin is bent to one side and is no longer in the center of the hole.

To repair this..............

Straighten the outermost bend of a regularly sized paperclip (the 1 inch type) and then used a multi-tool to bend the tip (about 1/16th inch) to a 90® bend and then insert it into the center hole. After getting the tip behind the center pin, slowly pull the paperclip out. I had to repeat this several times and also had to GENTLY pry the tip back to the center of the hole with the tip of the bent paperclip.

Now when I plug in the power plug it goes all the way in and the laptop once again charges while on.

This issue boils down to a faulty design and from now on I will be extremely cautious whenever I plug or unplug my computer.

Regards, TLM

PS; If my solution fixes your computer's issue please give me a thumbs-up.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP envy dv6, the harddrive crashed and i replaced it, however i'm running windows 7 pro instead of windows 8.

The charger charges the battery on the laptop, it shows that its charging but will not go to 100% the highest it has reached is 94% it is at 73%...

HP Recommended

Hi @dirtdiver64,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I understand that your notebook battery is charging but it never reaches 100% but only goes to approximately 94%.

I suggest you  try  HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎. Although the it states Windows 8 the steps should be the same for Windows 10.

Another link that I think you will find informative and applicable.  HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology.

Hope this helps!

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I ahd searched everwhere on line to solve the same issue.  Glad I came acroos your post.  Couldn't believe it was so simple.. thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.