Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you. I have reset all the power option setings bqck to default. Still, the battery will only charge if the unit is shut down.

I checked the charger too. it seems fine ( again, it charges when the laptop is shut down,

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi Proseng1,

I hope you enjoyed your weekend. 

Have you tested and calibrated the battery?  Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎.  If the battery calibrates and you still have the issue or you are unable to calibrate , I suggest calling HP support.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. HP Technical Support Sitemap

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the response. The battery tests with an 'OK' response from the diagnostics, but I can't find the auto calibrate button. I do not have the battery test in the F2 start-up menu, but I can run the battery diagnostics from the support assistant. The support assitant does not have a calibrate option.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 15 TS.  Same problem.

As long as the laptop is turned off, the battery charges.

As soon as I turn the laptop on, the battery stops charging.

According to HP's website, when the adater is connected the led next to the connector should turn white if there's current flowing. If the battery is charging, the led should turn orange.  When the laptop if off and I connect the adapter, it's orange. When I turn the computer on, it turns white. In Windows, the battery icon says that it is connected, but not charging.

The laptop is new, purchased about 3 months ago, and because of this issue it hasn't been used.

I also get the "you can get a better experience with a better adapter" message. The adapter is the one provided with the laptop.

I have talked to support on the phone. They disabled quick launch to get rid of the "better experience" message but they failed to identify root cause for the charging issue. Batter is ok according to tests. Adapter is also ok. Support said to take the laptop to a support center. Did that. They were baffled. Laptop came back the same after a little over a week, and the apologized for not being able to find the issue and didn't charge anything for the work. That is how baffled they were with the issue.

The technician told me that after working with the Envy he noticed that another laptop, from a different vendor, had exactly the same issue. He also noticed that in the case of that laptop there were a few pending updates for the operating system. He said he applied those and things started to work as expected. He applied all the available updates for the HP laptop, including BIOS uprades and the problem persists.

TIA,

Marcelo

HP Recommended

Hello everyone!

No sure if you guys are still having he same issue, but here follow what I've done to solve mine.

I was having the same issue for months:
- When laptop was on, it was saying "Plugged, not charging" and the power light kept blinking white

- When PC was off, the light was orange and the battery charged normally.

My issue was that the center pin of the charger was no in the center and was kind of smashed.

After aligning it, the laptop started charging normally. Simple as that.

I hope that this helps you.

Best Regards,

Tiago Lugarini Silva

HP Recommended

Hi Lugarini,

thanks for the hint, but no, that does not seem to be the issue in my particular case.

I suspect a faulty connection somewhere, but it's not in any externally visible parts.

Thanks,

Marcelo

HP Recommended

That worked for me!

The pin was so tiny I couldn't see it, and didn't think there was one. However, I did notice that the adapter plug didn't go quite all the way into the jack.

When i looked into the plug with a flashlight, I saw that there was a pin, and it was bent to the side.  I very carefully straightened it. Now the plugs fits all the way into the jack, and the battery registers as charging while the computer is on.

Thank you so much!

Robin

HP Recommended

Good Morning M4rcelo,

I understand that you are still having a charging issue.  If you try a different adapter, does the issue remain?

Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

If it does I would suggest contacting HP support again.  Provide the agent with the results from the service center and advise them that the issue remains. 

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region  Technical Support Sitemap

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

All,

I was able to solve the problem by replacing the charger. It seems the voltage is sensative.

First, I stopped by my local Windows store and plugged in one of their display chargers. As soon as I did this, I noticed the problem was solved. HP sent me a new charger (both power cord and transformer box). Now, all is good again.

Good luck, hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

see the response and solution that I just posted -

All,

I was able to solve the problem by replacing the charger. It seems the voltage is sensative.

First, I stopped by my local Windows store and plugged in one of their display chargers. As soon as I did this, I noticed the problem was solved. HP sent me a new charger (both power cord and transformer box). Now, all is good again.

Good luck, hope this helps you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.