Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am using HP DV6-6107tx, i got a new extended battery from anker which seemed to be running fine untill it discharged while i was playing watch dogs.

now my laptop wouldn't power on just on the battery, everything works fine if it is on charging, but the battery does not hold charge and my system powers off immediately on removing AC adapter. the battery shows "28% Charging" but does not increase or decrease the percentage even after hours of charging both while system is on and off.

i checked the battery in battery test from HP Support Assistant and it says that the battery status is ok, now i have tried the below methods with no luck :

• power off and press power button methods.
  • uninstall and reinstall battery from device manager methods.
  • battery check from HP Assistant.
  • updating Bios to F.1b method.
  • updating the HP Support Assistant.
  • and all the other methods i could think of or read on HP's site.

can anyone guide me as to what is the issue here ?       i don't have another machine to test my battery on, the charging lights are fine except that the light does not change color which it did on full charging the battery. i did try on 2 different adapters.

now if it were a motherboard or IC issue, would it not have said 'not charging' in windows ? in my case it says charging.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, M_Bilal

Welcome to the HP Forums.

That you for provided such a detailed post with what you've already completed, for the issue with your battery. I will try to guide you further.

I would like to provide you further documents for troubleshooting, but you've essentially completed what I have for this issue. The only step left, would be to test the battery.

You can do this with another battery, or in another notebook. I know you mention another machine, but if you know someone who does or someone who has a compatible battery. This would test that. You could even see if a local computer shop could test it.

The reason for this, is if the battery is the problem, it's much easier and more affordable replacement. Also, you mention it being new, might have warranty.

The other possible cause to the issue you've touched on, that would be the system board. Testing the above, would just confirm if this is the problem or not. From there you could decide on what you'd like to do.

I know, there really aren't many suggestions here, but I hope this can provide you with the next step.

Let me know how things go, with the route you choose to troubleshoot.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

well i realized it was the battery issue, i installed HP UEFI and then ran the battery test again from startup, it shows the battery test as failed and needs replacement. so it seems, the HP support assistant may not always return the best test result for batteries...

thanks for the help though... i appreciate you guys looking in the matter!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.