Question

Honor Student
dvql
Message 1 of 8 (2,819 Views)

Battery startup

My presario 2525us laptop will not startup while on battery. (battery is charged)  but if plugged into AC charger it starts ok and will continue to run if unplugged.

What is a fix for this?

DVQL

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 8 (2,831 Views)

Re: Battery startup

run the battery test in the total care advisor
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
dvql
Message 3 of 8 (2,783 Views)

Thanks for the info,however I do not have the HP total care advisor.
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 4 of 8 (2,781 Views)

Install this battery check to see if it will work: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41501-42000/sp41862.exe
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Teacher
susoab1791
Message 5 of 8 (2,770 Views)

ive never heard of this

but it might due to the fact that it needs more juice to boot from the hard drive and boot every thing up and the voltage from

the battery might not be supporting every thing that needs to be running in the start up so it just dosent start up thats my 

oppion so... one thing i say is put in sleep mode when using on battery...its very usefull.. when running to place to place

because you dont have to wait for reboting...

maby bios update might fix this

Honor Student
dvql
Message 6 of 8 (2,753 Views)

Thanks again but the battery check tells me it is not compatible with my PC laptop.

DV

Intern
TWOBEERCANS
Message 7 of 8 (2,742 Views)

I have seen this twice on other laptops, you could try the following in order to reset the battery internally.

start the laptop then remove the external supply, make sure your power management is set to shutdown the laptop at 20% power level. then use it until it shuts down. Insert the charger lead until the laptop has recharged - remove the adapter and see if it starts.

There is a mcu/eeprom in many L-ion battery packs - it could be it simply needs resyncing it could be telling the laptop it has insufficient power to initiate a startup, running it down till it is almost depleted then recharging may very well correct this.  Please be aware that this process in very rare cases can cause the battery to become unusable/unchargeable, but as things stand the battery is pointless if it can't boot the laptop.

" The dead battery cause from this is derived from the error being in the battery gauge, if a L-ion cell is disharged below a certain point a safety circuit forever more prevents it being recharged, the only way round that is for the manufacturer to reset the battery using special interface and software "

I suspect this type of thing to be a result of hardly ever running on battery but still leaving it attached to the notebook. L-ion battery packs are best stored in a cool place at a 40% charge level and only fully charged and inserted when required for use. This would extend battery life by a considerable amount, with that in mind you simply have to marvel at manufacturers that stick one of the 4 feet on the laptop battery pack (ACER springs to mind lol)

Good luck hope that helps.

tbc

Intern
wguru
Message 8 of 8 (2,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.chinahp.net/driver/qitaqudong/2008...

That posts says...'that sp41862.exe'.."Corrects an issue where a false failure is reported when the battery is in a deep discharge state.".

As such, I think you're probably 'right on' about users who rarely use their batteries and yet keep them in our laptops.  My 20 some month old Pavilion's battery, appeared to have 'died' just about 5 months after I wiped the drive of partition and OEM Vista, then only when experiencing an AC power outage (ie; having lost HP's battery check utility during the W& install), Windows 7 Pro's battery indicator never displayed any issues with the battery, even when I found the laptop had immediately shut down (when the AC power went out).

And only after AC was restored, did the battery indicator utility suggest 'the battery might need replacement'.  No matter what I did, the battery refused to charge even though the laptop got extremely hot while supposedly charging it.  So I ended up tossing out what should have been (and probably was) a perfectly good battery, otherwise forced to buy one with less cells (due to the absorbitant pricing of 12 cell's like was supplied originally).  Note, the 6 cell charged up fine, no heating seen and seems to work just fine, giving me about 2 hrs use.

I'm convinced this's a scheme to assure 'we' continue buying batteries (maybe even buring out laptop battery charging hardware), as surely the both laptop and battery mfgr's are aware of the 'little to no use issue) and moreover, certainly 

computers can be supplied with software intelligence that clocks how much a battery is used, adjusts it's charging as needed, and re-sets a battery if somehow it still finds itself in need of such.

Sadly again, contacting HP's support, asking what laptops and OS's that their sp41862.exe actually supports, is like talking to a brick wall, ie; my reply was nothing more than a rather ambigious email advising me to 'download our HP Support Assistant for Windows 7' as they added without explanation...

'the pre-shipped OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software may not work on the retail version of operating systems.'

Here's the link they gave me (instead of answering my question if the sp41862 supported W7)...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01916574&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3767111

Of final note, I tried installing sp41862 multiple times, each time trying compatibilities for Vista Sp1, Vista, Vista SP2, and while it's icon lists in the start menu, the program won't open (prompts that it failed to satart and Windows is checking for a solution).

Ad W7's Action utility (supposedly lists issues when they're detected, has yet to flag it sees a problem, nor is their any solution.

recommended).

I do find that Windows eventually tells me the program is not suitable for my OS.  Now I'm left wondering if and how I can properly uninstall it (in order to cleanup the start menu as well as preclude it's 'install' from messing with the W7 power maintence).  I'd really hate to use system restore as that's a crap shoot as occaisionally I find it messing something else up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation