Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am expecting that an HP laptop with HP Notebook computers with the HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) can perform a battery and fan check. Thus, I will be seeing these error messages below, if there are problems. However, if the HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is not installed, then no error messages will be listed even if there are problems. I am right or not? Then, UEFI is charge of listing those errors, and not BIOS?

1. Whenever  I started or restarted my laptop, then I saw these errors shown in order on the stratup::: 
    1. 'HP Battery Alert
      The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low.
      For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced.
      Primary (internal) Battery (601)
      ENTER - Continue Startup
      For more information, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup.
    2. The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.
      Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.
      System Fan (90b)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
It looks like you are having difficulties with regards to the Cooling Fan of your Notebook
We will surely assist you with this

According to the message you have posted I suspect this is purely a hardware issue where in your getting "System Fan(90B) - The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly" message. This is a mechanical fault and the Cooling Fan on your Notebook and needs to be replaced before the Notebook starts up with an Overheating Issue.

Causes/Reason for this Issue:

1. Sometimes this is just because of Dust, Pet Animals Hair slowing down the fan

Perform the below shown troubleshooting steps:

Step 01. Turn OFF the Notebook

Step 02. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 03. Press and Hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 04. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 05. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 06. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F5 Key to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 07. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 08. Now please wait till Unit loads Windows and then Shut down the Netbook again

Step 09. You should clean all the Vents and Openings really good with a can of compressed air

Note: If you are still getting the same error we need to replace the fan

I strongly recommend you to immediately Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance without any delay to get your Netbook Fan replaced and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer

Click on the below shown link to check the warranty status
http://tinyurl.com/6cf8qju

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:
1. It is not advisable to use the Notebook when the Power Adapter is connected

2. It is not advisable to keep the Power Adapter plugged in even after the Battery is fully charged

3. You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again

4. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

5. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

6. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

7. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03325217

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821536

Calibrating the Notebook Battery (Windows Vista)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817650

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

As said before, I have really sprayed the fan from outside trying to clean the dust. However, there is no diffrence at all.

Since Normal at idle should be 40C or less and under load about 60 to 70C, my CPU temperatures are very excessive, and I must replace the cooling fan as quickly as possible.  I agree with you since my laptop is so slowly responding that I could hardly post this message to you.

Although I have performed a hard reset, these problems below are still:::

Software Freezes, Keyboard stops responding, external device stops responding

Anyway, how could you help me to find a new fan and battery since the HP agent in Yemen doesn't sell the spare parts I need? Do you think that buying old cooling fan, battery will be helpful for me since I am in a very urgent need to replace these components. (As for replacements parts, do YOYU  know of any place where I can purchase them in Yemen. THAT STUPID HP AGENT IN  YEMEN MUST BE CHANGED AS quickly AS possible)
    Now, I want to open the back of my laptop, although it does not do it justice. It is major surgery and I mostly come in from the top. I want to only thoroughly clean out the fan or even replace it with a new one since if cleaning it didn't help, then I would need to open the back again, and replace it.

I need way to get a new fan, and battery. How to do? COULD YOU HELP ME?

HP Recommended

According to the message you have recently posted I would request with you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone and request with them to Order a replacement Fan and Battery. They would replace the parts if the Notebook is under warranty period. If not they would transfer the call to HP Sales/Spares for more help required.

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Thank You,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, According to the information I was asked to send them to an HP (Jeff Christopher, Executive Customer Relations -Hewlett-Packard Company. Palo Alto, California) I was called by HP colleagues in my region, in particular from Dubai, UAE. They said to me that they would be thinking of a way about the spare parts I need.

However, as long as I am in Yemen, and the HP agent in Yemen doesn't sell the hardware components for only Pavilion HP laptops since he doesn't sell that product models, how would HP colleagues in Dubai be shipping the spare parts I need while in Yemen. Whne they called me, they only asked me about my current location, which would be not benefit in shipping the hardware parts.

Yemen is really going to be  real problem if HP colleagues in my region insist on letting that HP agent in Yemen without enforcing him to sell all HP products along with their components, or otherwise he must be replaced by another HP agent in other city in Yemen since not only me who have been facing a problem getting spare parts in Yemen.

I don't think anyone all over the word will find a wise decision that HP customers must be requesting HP spare parts from other closer distributors in their regions as long as there is an HP agent in Yemen.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.