Question

Student
angiesezrawr
Message 1 of 2 (104 Views)

Battery will not charge, but problem is not battery or ac directly

So I have an HP Pavilion dv7t-7000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC. I have had it for almost 2 years without any serious problems.  I use my laptop to play games on steam and have not had any overheating problems before. Yesterday, I had been playing a game for maybe 10 minutes and the computer shut off.  I assumed this was an overheating issue, but I could not turn the computer back on. Pressing the power button made no lights come on, there was no light for the ac led being plugged in, nothing.  I took the battery out and unplugged everything and held the power button for 30 seconds and nothing happened. Eventually, I got the ac led light to come on by plugging it in without the battery in the computer.

So now my problem is that I cannot charge the battery. I can only get the computer to recognize the ac adapter when the battery is not in. However, if I plug in the ac adapter and then put in the battery, it says it is charging. However, it isn't actually charging. It just stays at the current percentage.  If I unplug the ac adapter while the battery is in and then try to plug it back in, the computer will not recognize that the ac is plugged in.  I have to turn off the computer, take out the battery, and plug in the ac adapter again. Sometimes it doesn't work the first time either. I have to turn off and on the power strip that I plug it into. I tried it on another outlet and it worked that way, but I still had the same problem with the battery.

I also have tried to see if the problem is the ac adapter by plugging it in to a different laptop. The other laptop recognized it immediately with the battery still in. I also plugged in a different ac adapter to my computer and it recognized it with my battery still in (it's from an older laptop though so it does not have enough power to charge my battery, so I can't just use that one).

So the ac adapter apparently works fine. It seems like the problem is with my computer. The battery is also fine. I ran the system tests, it doesn't need to be calliberated either. I thought maybe I needed a BIOS update or there was some problem with a driver, but I don't see how that has to do with the ac adapter.  Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate it as I need this laptop for school so it needs to be portable with a charged battery.

HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 2 (90 Views)

Re: Battery will not charge, but problem is not battery or ac directly

Hello angiesezrawr, welcome to the HP Forums.

It appears that you have a power issue with the notebook in relation to the battery. I will try to help you with this.

Based on the troubleshooting you've tried, the issue appears to be hardware related. Something internal related to the AC power socket and the battery.

For this I would suggest contacting support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation