Question

Honor Student
lesliekb
Message 1 of 5 (18,767 Views)

Black screen on startup with a mouse pointer but can't do anything???

Hello,

I've read all the posts in regards to this topic.  Nothing has worked.  I have my brothers HP laptop with Windows Vista.  I thought the Hard Drive (HD) crashed because all I had on start up was a black screen with a cursor.  When booting I am given the option to start up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Safe Mode with Networking.  No matter which one I choose I get the same thing - black screen with a cursor.  I can move the cursor around.  Nothing happens when I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del.  When I hit the **bleep** key 5 times the widow comes up about the Sticky Keys - the paragraph asks me if I want to enable them but does not give the the option to click on a "yes" or "no";  My only option is to click the X to close the window.  If I use the short cut keys for the Windows Utility (windows key = u) I get an error message basically saying it can't find the file.  

I have a Rocketfish HD Enclosure for SATA drives.  So, I removed the HD from the HP and plugged it into my other computer (an Acer) with the enclosure.  I ran Norton AVI & Spy Sweeper.  Norton removed & resolved 2 Trojan viruses.  My brother was not using Norton or Kaspersky, or McAfee - or any other AVI software that is worthy... obviously - he got 2 Trojans!  Spy Sweeper ran overnight and half a day (16 hours) - didn't finish and found nothing during that really long time span.  He apparently partitioned his HD himself.  When I hook it up to my computer it shows up as 3 different HD's.  One appears to be just back up files and that part of the partition is FULL.  One has pretty much nothing on it, and the other appears to be the main one he is/was using because that's where all the program files are.  I can successfully navigate through all 3 partitions.  I copied all his documents, pictures, files, Mp3's, etc to my own external HD.  I can see his entire OS is there... his HD is FINE as far as I'm concerned.

I put it back into his laptop and the same thing happens... black screen with cursor.  

I can get into BIOS.  In BIOS I ran the HD diagnostic, it says to replace the HD.  I let it go ahead and do the memory diagnostic test in BIOS for the heck of it and of course that's fine - he's got 4gb.  

I did something else in BIOS - restoring?  It restarted and did nothing...

I tried hooking up MY own personal old HD (with entire OS still on it) via my SATA enclosure  to his laptop and still nothing... so, it won't recognize any OS.

I have ruled out - in my belief that his HD is okay.  Especially now that I have removed the viruses.

I have not figured out what the problem is though.  I can't get in - it seems to not recognize the HD - it won't boot from the HD - I can't get into C:\ from anywhere to even try to get up Windows Explorer.  

I'm thinking other hardware failure... fried motherboard?

So, I'm not completely computer illiterate.  But, hardware trouble shooting is not something I've had much hands on experience with.  I can write lines of code in several languages... but hardware troubleshooting does not seem to be my best subject... (I'm still in school for my BS in IT).

My brother thinks his laptop is trash - I think his HD is okay - he may still be able to use it as an external HD if he gets an HD SATA enclosure like mine.  But, this poor laptop has survived Hurricane Gustav - where he lost his home in Baton Rouge, LA and therefore I'd like to fix it, I know I can fix it, but I have to know what's wrong with it in order to fix it...

I'd appreciate any useful suggestions!  If it is a motherboard issue... I wonder how hard they are to replace :smileyhappy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. - it's a HP Pavillion dv6500 Entertainment PC

P.S.S. - I'm going to open it all up tomorrow & clean it - who knows the last time he cleaned it, if there's a lot of dust in there it could be a big problem.  Just running it today it got VERY hot and the fans seem to be running very loud (as compared to my Acer laptop).

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 5 (18,740 Views)

Re: Black screen on startup with a mouse pointer but can't do anything???

I can get into BIOS.  In BIOS I ran the HD diagnostic, it says to replace the HD.  I let it go ahead and do the memory diagnostic test in BIOS for the heck of it and of course that's fine - he's got 4gb.  

It means your Hard drive has gone bad based on diagnostics results and needs to be replaced. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
lesliekb
Message 3 of 5 (18,730 Views)

Kamat_hp:

So, your saying that even though I can see everything on his HD using my SATA enclosure AND from the enclosure I can run the programs... that it's just a "bad" HD? 

A person can have a "bad" HD without it "crashing"... would this be considered a product malfunction? This HD is not that old (well, probably over 1 year old but in great shape & plenty of storage remaining on it). 

Is it possible that the HD driver needs update?  I was thinking about trying that.  I was also thinking about taking my own internal HD out & putting his in mine to see if it would even boot my laptop, since I did remove the security risks.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 5 (18,721 Views)

A hard drive if it has failed will sometimes allow you to boot into windows but may not work completely (Eg: In a scenario, where system partition ;where windows is installed works fine but logical partition of hard drive has gone bad).

On certain conditions, if the hard drive is on verge of failure may/may not respond completely. I would suggest you to run a diagnostics using Seagate Seatools which works on any hard drive irrespective of manufacturer to actually confirm if your hard drive has failed.

Also, any hard drive can fail in spite of it been 1yr old or 1day old as its all manufactured in bulk and most of it comes from China :smileyvery-happy:

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
LAW2010
Message 5 of 5 (4,327 Views)

[ Edited ]

But How can I run the Seagate Seatools if the screen is black and only shows the mouse? The only time something shows on my screen is when it comes on, but once it goes to welcome, nothing but mouse is there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation