Question

Top Student
jilly204
Message 1 of 8 (551 Views)

Black screen

My HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx has recently started not to boot.  It tries but does not get past the black screen.  I've tried the hard reset and sometimes if I walk away it will start up on it's own after about 20 minutes.  Also will go to black screen when I leave it alone for a while.  Looking at the chart for beeps and blinking lights, my caps lock/num lock lights blink continually.  Not sure if that has any significance.  Anyone have a suggestion on next steps?  Thanks!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (531 Views)

Re: Black screen

Yes enter setup F10 as you power on and look for the hard drive test and run it. Run the full test, not just the short test. Let us know the results.

Top Student
jilly204
Message 3 of 8 (514 Views)

First shot, I got 26% through the comprehensive one and the computer shut down.  Second time was a charm and it said the hard drive test passed.  While I was there I went ahead and ran the memory test which also passed.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (435 Views)

combine the blinking lights with the random suddent shutdowns and you have an intermittent hardware issue which is usually caused by some issue with the  motherboard. These kinds of issues are the hardest to specifically diagnose. It can also be a heat issue. If it were my laptop I would open it up and clean it out or have someone do that. That is, remove dust from around the processor and apply new thermal compound. The laptop is about 3 years old and that is when it generally needs to be done. If that does not fix it you likely need to consider a new motherboard or new laptop. It is not even impossible that it is a software thing that would be cured by a factory restore. As stated, these types of issues give technicians the worst fits.  

Top Student
jilly204
Message 5 of 8 (431 Views)

Thanks very much for your help!  Will try the cleanout first and see where we go from there.

Top Student
jilly204
Message 6 of 8 (403 Views)

BTW, I recently saw three new "files" on my desktop that are all records of a "fatal Java error".   You don't suppose that has anything to do with this, do you?

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 8 (353 Views)

More likely a symptom than a cause....I do not think bad software, even java could cause blinking keyboard lights. To be 100% sure you could do a factory restore to bring the software back to a known state and exclude it from the equation.

Honor Student
cagiona
Message 8 of 8 (189 Views)

hello, I am using this thread because we have a similar, intermittent problem (screen goes dark during boot, need to force shut, and reboot) less the blinking keys.

can it be the same problem as jilly204's?

the notebook (pavilion dv6) is about the same age.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation