Re: Blinking caps lock lights (3255 Views)
Intern
niniss
Message 121 of 187 (3,482 Views)

Re: Blinking caps lock lights

"...fan connection dismandled i start the pc 5 min after pc on then get overheating  then fan connected my pc on easily"  -- not sure i understand this.

Intern
JWiRX
Message 122 of 187 (3,471 Views)

It sounds like what he is saying is this. He took apart the computer, reseated the CPU and GPU with new heatsink paste, cleaned the fan and what not, and then turned it back on. 5 minutes later it started acting up again. So he looked at the fan under the keyboard and it was stopped again. So he replaced that fan maybe, and now it works fine.

That is pretty much how I interpreted it. It could very well be a heatsink issue. I still have mine. I have not had any motivation to anything with it, except get a 2.5" hard drive enclosure this week to take out the drives and use them as storage. Maybe this will be something work looking into. If the board is not toasted from being over heated, then maybe it would actually have a chance. ??

Intern
niniss
Message 123 of 187 (3,469 Views)

Thanks JW.  Might be the heat sink issue - i think that was already established a while back when someone here mentioned that using the hair dryer can speed up the booting.  I have tried twice and both worked, so it's got to be related. 

Intern
COROLLARY
Message 124 of 187 (3,466 Views)

my suggestion is cpu get overheating period system was started .if system get cool contidition booting is trouble so problem between cpu and heat sink elements

Tutor
rblencoe99
Message 125 of 187 (3,255 Views)

Hello All!!

So I rarely post on forums...to be honest I never do, but I had to create an account and tell you how I managed to fix this annoying problem.

So I have a HP G56 model 220CA and yesterday morning I woke up and my screen was completely black. It was beeping 1 light every 5 seconds, for about 15 minutes. Anyway I searched and searched through forums, and the general consensus was that my CPU had failed, and that I would have to send it in to HP. Anyway, I called HP support, got on the phone with one of there tech agents, he asked me my name and model number, and than asked me what was happening. I explained, and with no troubleshoot what soever he told me that my motherboard was friend and that it is in my best interest to have it shipped and pay $329.00 to replace my motherboard.

I was a little confused on how he was able to diagnose so quickly that my mobo was fried, but I went along with it anyway. I told him that most likely I would not be sending it into him, and he was confused and didn't understand why. I told him that I had searched for about 3 hours, and found about 30 people with the same problem I am having, and that this is a common problem with HP's and that I am not going to throw money at **bleep**, and exspect it to smell like roses. Anyway in the end I told him I am buying a lenovo and to go to hell....

Well, after that I was pretty much pissed right the hell off, my warranty ended 1 month ago, and I wasn't putting any more money into this laptop. So then I rememberd something I had done along time ago with my Xbox and it actually worked when it was red ringing... So I took my laptop, wrapped it tight into one of my sweaters, and let it run for about 20-30 minutes... I came back 30 minutes later, it was right hot, but the computer had actually powered itself off.... well I then tryed to power it back on, and voila ... it works... hope this may help some of you. Good luck!

Oh also just to clarify the light beeping was in fact the caps lock.
and after I got back up and booting properly, I flashed the new bios and am now running smoothly for the past 5-6 hours.
Intern
niniss
Message 126 of 187 (3,251 Views)

You mean you closed the lid and wrapped the laptop tight with sweaters while the machine is on?  and the machine didn't get fried?  I'm even afraid of unplugging the cooling fans while the machine is on as i worried it might melt to pieces. lol

Intern
JWiRX
Message 127 of 187 (3,245 Views)

Haha, yeah I am with Niniss on this one. LOL

I think what happened is that you essentially reflowed the solder on the board, all within the laptop case. You got it hot enought that the solder actually melted whatever was causing the short, and it worked. Not bad if it actually works for a while. I would be expecting the issue will come up again after a while. It is a manufacuring defect that is unfortunately ignored as such. If it were acknowledged that the product was made with inferior components, then they would have a huge problem with trying to cover fixing them, so they wont.

Intern
COROLLARY
Message 128 of 187 (3,228 Views)

Hi all !

I was analysed the mother board got heat over heat resister sensor was awakened to controled the preventing heat that most time i seen the fan was running highend speed that time only system booting .

Intern
niniss
Message 129 of 187 (3,224 Views)

Sorry, have no clue what you are saying.

Student
roddo4
Message 130 of 187 (2,789 Views)

Re: Blinking caps and num lock lights

Hello Everyone,

I have a solution which may help some people with the continuous blinking Caps Lock and Num Lock lights.  Try REPLACING the laptop battery..  I found one on Amazon for about $21.00.

My situation was this.  My HP DV7-1132nr notebook is a little over 3 years old.  About a week ago, I left it on for a while until it went into hibernation.  When I swiped the touchpad to regain the picture, the screen stayed black, and the 'sound' and 'internet connection' lights were orange, along with the continuous flashing Caps Lock and Num Lock lights occurring.  After about 15 or 20 minutes, the computer screen finally came back, with the orange lights going out, but the Caps Lock and Num Lock were continuously flashing every 3 seconds or so..  I soon powered down and restarted a few hours later.  At that time, it took about 15 minutes to get out of 'black screen' mode, and the computer finally booted.  The Caps Lock and Num Lock flashed the whole time.  I later shut down.  The next day, about 6 hours later I powered up, and it took about 45 minutes to boot up.  The next day, it took an hour and 10 minutes, and the next day, it took an hour and a half.

With the computer taking longer each day to boot, it seemed logical to assume that something was deteriorating gradually, which pointed to the battery, rather than memory modules--at least in my case.

When the new battery arrived, I took the old one out, and carefully plugged in the new one.  The computer started right up, although the flashing Caps Lock and Num Lock lights still happened.  I powered down and up again.  The laptop booted right up again, but the flashing still was happening.  A day later--today--I booted up, and the flashing Caps Lock and Num Lock condition is gone.  I now can manually press the Caps Lock button, and it reacts as it should.  Same thing with the Num Lock button.

So, maybe with the new battery, it gets your machine up and running again immediately, and just needs to charge itself somehow for several hours to get rid of the flashing/blinking phenomena of the Caps Lock and Num Lock lights.

I should also mention that I've always kept my laptop plugged in with the A/C adapter in addition to the battery being installed.  When the old battery went bad, I tried removing it and attempted to boot with just the AC cord, but that didn't do anything--ultimately, a new battery needed to be installed.

I hope this helps some of the users.  No need to ditch your HP laptop yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation